Search Fishin.com

Thread: fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

fishing line

After reading the post about fishing lines, I have a question for averyone. I have been using spider wire braid on my spinner bait rod for the last 3-4 years. To me the feel is twice as good as mono and better than flouro. I've taken the same lure on a rod with mono, flouro and braid and there is no comparison. What I'm wondering is how many fish am I missing because they see my line? Which do you feel is more important; feel or invisibility? I normally fish nolin, rough and barren.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fishing line

Depends on the bait you are using with it. What baits are you using on this rig?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that visibility is an issue if you are throwing spinner baits. Anything that would be slower moving I would be concerned with more (jigs, worms, dropshot... these I would consider floro or mono). Fish hit spinners on reaction of the bait, bumping stumps, flash, vibration... As far as the feel goes it's just ones preference if the feel gives you more confidence in your bait than I say stick with it.
    Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

I only use braid on frogs on the grass. I tried it for a while on other things, but the rocks tended to eat it up here on Ky lake.

Post Thanks / Like

My main preference is fluorocarbon for everything except topwater and jigs. For topwater baits I use mono since it floats; fluorocarbon messes up the action on spooks and stuff since it sinks. Flurocarbon is more invisible than mono, and I prefer it throwing spinner baits and cranks...I think it has plenty of sensitivity. Braid to me is kind of an overkill, especially since you are usually cranking spinnerbaits and cranks on a tight line anyways. I have heard from a couple pros that fireline or braid may be worse on cranks or spinners because it has no stretch whatsoever, so you even have the possibility of setting the hook to hard while using it and totally ripping the fish off your line. During the middle of the day, especially in the clear lakes such as Dale Hollow, I would think that fish can see the braid. I actually do use 8lb test fireline at night trolling for walleye though at Dale, just for the sensitivity and I have about 85 feet of line out, and usually do really well still. So at night I dont think the fish can really see it as well or at all even.

But I do like fireline for thick cover or grass, pitching, etc. Especially when you are trying to rip fish out as quick as possible. So I guess its all a matter of preference.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishmanrq View Post
    My main preference is fluorocarbon for everything except topwater and jigs. For topwater baits I use mono since it floats; fluorocarbon messes up the action on spooks and stuff since it sinks. Flurocarbon is more invisible than mono, and I prefer it throwing spinner baits and cranks...I think it has plenty of sensitivity. Braid to me is kind of an overkill, especially since you are usually cranking spinnerbaits and cranks on a tight line anyways. I have heard from a couple pros that fireline or braid may be worse on cranks or spinners because it has no stretch whatsoever, so you even have the possibility of setting the hook to hard while using it and totally ripping the fish off your line. During the middle of the day, especially in the clear lakes such as Dale Hollow, I would think that fish can see the braid. I actually do use 8lb test fireline at night trolling for walleye though at Dale, just for the sensitivity and I have about 85 feet of line out, and usually do really well still. So at night I dont think the fish can really see it as well or at all even.But I do like fireline for thick cover or grass, pitching, etc. Especially when you are trying to rip fish out as quick as possible. So I guess its all a matter of preference.

Hope this helps.

fishman is alot like me, i use fluorocarbon for everything as well the only thing i use mono for is top water. and that is pretty much it , i will use a heavyer lb test line of fluorocarbon when i use spinners and jigs. such as i will use 8 to 10lb for cranks, shaky heads, finess fishin exc. then i will use 12 to 20lbs for heavyer stuff like jigs, spinnerbaits, texas rig and things. it is actualy copolymer fluoroclear p-line and p-line mono in 12lbs for most top water stuff. i never have used braid ever so i cant realy say anything about braid and i fell good with this combo on my line's so i proubley never will use braid.

chuck