Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Need some Help/Advice

Guys/Gals..I know this should prob go on the boat discussion board, but it doesnt get a lot of traffic. And I know this is a stupid question..but i need some help.

I have a Yamaha 115, and the other day, when i went out fishing, the Pee Hole was not displacing water. I fished a couple of holes very close to the dock, never got above a idle. The motor never overheated. I got home and checked the pee hole and couldnt find anything blocking it. I went and bought a new Impeller and a buddy put it on..the old one was in perfect condition. He then tried to see if he could find any blockage in the water tube running from the impeller up to the motor...Didnt find anything concrete. He then put the lower unit back on and fired it up..Still didnt work, the water is being pumped up but not coming out the pee hole.

My questions is..Could it be a thermostat that is closed or do you think there is blockage further up in the water tube? If it is a thermostat, where the heck is it located, and is it possible to replace it yourself, without me dragging the boat a couple of hours to the dealer, is there a place online that shows a diagram of the water tube and thermostat, I have looked and cant find any.

He also tried blowing air up thru there and NO luck. Is it adviseable to use a pressure hose on the water tube to try to blow it out? Just wondering if this will cause any damage;.

It is a Yamaha 115, 2005.

Thanks for your help and if this is on the wrong board then I understand if the moderators move it.

Thanks...Warren

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some Help/Advice

My 15 hp johnson did that this spring. Had a neighbor came over while i was working on it and he had a nozzle that fit the line to the pee hole and took water hose and back flushed it. Worked fine after that. So mayby try the air from pee hole back to the water pump insead of other way round. Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably got a piece of junk in the end of the pee tube that you can't see. I had this happen to me while fishing the KY Lake grass several times this year.

Here's what I did to fix it: first, straighten our a hook, next (if you're trying this at home) hook up your hose and turn the motor on. Finally, take the hook and run it in and out of the tube. Should clear the problem right up.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a small tube in the pee hole..and water will go in it..for quite a while.but it will not drain out the bottom of the water line where is connects to the lower unit. And when i try to put water up the water line at the lower unit, it will not com out the pee hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Pull your thermostat and put under the hot water faucet then the cold water faucet. Should open and close. Calcium deposits will build up. A mild acid will remove the calcium, or replace thermostat. If you run the river a lot you will also get a gunk build up in the discharge tube. Remove tube and just take a coat hanger and rod it out like cleaning a gun barrel.
    (Bar Keepers Friend is a mild acid cleaner you can use to thermostat)

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy had that problem and I straightened out a piece of bailing water and did the ram-rod trick up the tell-tale hole while on the muffs. A couple of minute pieces of gravel came out and the stream was restored.