Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow Smallies

Hey fellas-ohio guy here, we're planning a trip to Dale Hollow this spring. When is normally the prime time to get them smallmouth on the nest? How about a timeline for the largemouth? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dale Hollow Smallies

Hey Hoover,
    If you are looking for the best time to catch great smallies on Dale Hollow then you need to be there over the next month. The winter smallmouth fishing on that lake is incredible. I fished a tournament there this past May (1st week) and most fish were already off the beds. So if you are planning on catching fish sitting on beds you probably want to be here before then. If you want to hook up with a guide then look up Bobby Gentry's Guide Service (He's on the web). This guy knows Dale Hollow inside and out and is the best guide on that lake. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoover,
    Best time in the spring is April through about mid-May. If I had to pick in advance, I would shoot for mid-April. It's always a little bit of a gamble based on the weather and water temps. I've had some good fishing in late March, if warmed up early.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from Ohio also and it seems that the harder the winter, the better the late March/early April time seems. If the winter is kind of mild, the bite seems better the first few weeks of April...then when they come off the bed in early May, it can be great.
    I've learned to let Mother Nature tell me when it's time because if you plan it...it will guaranteed be crappy weather...just seems that way

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for the best time to catch great smallies on Dale Hollow then you need to be there over the next month. The winter smallmouth fishing on that lake is incredible.
    Hey Hoover - I'm with firedawg on this one, but it depends on what your preference is: numbers or hogs. I personally go after hogs, and wintertime on the float n' fly is how to smoke 'em.

The more aggressive unders become more dormant in the colder weather which means you won't see the numbers, but when you boat a smallie it will have some size to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback fellas-
    I know, I would love to just run down there when the weather's right on the spur, but unfortunately we have to plan this one (dame work restrictions). Based on your info I think we will shoot for early to mid- april. Just to be safe. Your right.. when you plan, your screwed by mother nature. Happened to us last year on Patoka, arrived on the lake a day after they had that freak earth quake, along with the 10 inches of rain. Neadless to say it was a tough bite.
    THANKS

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fellas-
    What area of the lake tends to warm the quickest, in the early spring months? Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

The upper end (kentucky side) will warm the quickest but, just about any of the coves on the North side will warm quickly also. Wind,sun,water clarity and depth among other things also effect what water will warm quicker.
    Sometimes just a few degrees in the afternoons can really change things
    With that in mind and a litlle common since, afew good cranks,jerks and spinnerbaits and you are you way my friend to being a full blown DaleHollic like most here.
    Keep in touch
    TEE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEE View Post
    The upper end (kentucky side) will warm the quickest but, just about any of the coves on the North side will warm quickly also. Wind,sun,water clarity and depth among other things also effect what water will warm quicker.
    Sometimes just a few degrees in the afternoons can really change things
    With that in mind and a litlle common since, afew good cranks,jerks and spinnerbaits and you are you way my friend to being a full blown DaleHollic like most here.
    Keep in touch
    TEE
    Thanks TEE- our cabin is on the southeastern side (if your looking at a map) so we'll probably have to load up and hit the shallows of the North. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Remember warm winds can change things...if they're out of the west for a few days, fish the eastern coves and verse/visa
    Last edited by TEE; 01-16-2009 at 08:16 AM.