Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

carolina rig question

I have fished the rig for a number of years with mono 20#main 10# leader and done all right . I thought about using a 7 1/2' med hvy with a quantum burner 7.1 retrieve . with 30 lb braid and 10# fluorcarbon leader any thoughts. in the past used 6 1/2 ft with a 5.something retrieve. fish mainly 15 to 30' of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: carolina rig question

You'll get much more distance on your casts with that setup and it'll be a lot more sensitive with the braid. The only thing to watch out for is fishing braid in rocks. Braid is great for everything but rocks. It chews it up in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

That rod and reel would be a good set up. Here on Ky lake, if you don't throw the rig often, you are missing out. I fish mine with a 7'9" MH and it makes casting way easier The longer the better. As for the reel on a c-rig set up, it is mainly for taking up slack, but I do like the fast ratio for getting a hooked fish up quick. I tried the braid for a while, and I didn't like it. Fishing on the bottom, you are going to get hung. You are just as likely to break your rod as you are that braid. You will definite feel a little more, but it won't last as long in the rocks, break (when you want/need it to), or cast as far as other lines. I like flouro or gamma copolymer as a main line, but I gave up on the flouro as the leader. Flouro sinks fairly quick, and you kind of want your lure presentation to suspend or slowly fall to the bottom, so I always use copolymer for the leader. I go with a 15# main line and a 12# leader and it seems to be the right balance for here on Ky lake - if it were much clearer, I would drop down to a 10# leader. If I was fishing a crystal clear no stain lake, i may consider a flouro leader, but otherwise, I wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I've settled on 30lb braid (either Sufix or Stren Sonic) for the c-rig. Those are the only two brands I've tried and I like them both. Alot of people seem to like Power Pro also. The sensitivity and quick hookset that braid will give you on a carolina rig is really hard to beat, IMHO. For the leader I've been using Gamma Copolymer or Sufix Siege (10-12lb).

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious I don't fish the c-rig much but I want to, and i was wondering if it was possible to use a braid mainline along with a braid leader?

Post Thanks / Like

It is possible to use braid on your leader but you will pull the bottom of the lake up when you get hungup.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the response. I think I'll try the 30 lb braid if I don't like it I can reverse it on my flipping reel. My main reluctance is the burner reel from experiance a 5# fish is tuff to pull in on the high speed reel other than that its a great reel. Has anyone tried a three way swivel with a rubberband on the sinker?

Post Thanks / Like

i switched to braid on my rig rod this year and loved it....make sure to use a mono or fluoro leader so you dont break a rod or an arm or anything trying to get unhung....the sensitivity is great and it really helped me when i was getting short strikes.....and i would use nothing shorter than a 7'6 rod