Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 12-Volt Wiring Question

For years I've run my trolling motor on what I thought was a "parrelle" system of batteries. I have batteries 1 and 2 connected to each other positive-to-positive and negative-to-negative and then the trolling motor's leads connected "only" to the positive and negative posts on battery 1. Now, I found a schematic on-line that shows parrelle batteries connected the same way I have mine, BUT the the trolling motor leads are connected to battery one's postive and battery two's negative. So, the 12-volt trolling moto leads are connected to each battery instead the mine which are connectedt to only battery's posts. My questions are, does the way I have my batteries wired double my reserve capacity by having two deep cycle batteries and how are your 12-volt parrelle batteries wired?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 12-Volt Wiring Question

Yes, you have doubled your capacity.

If there is good connection between the two batteries, it doesn't matter which pos and neg your TM is connected to. They're all sharing the same energy.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.......you're good............

If you have the room for 2 12 volt batteries......why not upgrade to a 24 v system........

I did that a few years ago, and it was the BEST thing I could EVER do. THE 24v systems, pull less amps, which is better all around for your rig, AND the batteries.

ALSO, the newer trolling motors that use digital PCM controllers, vs an analog controller makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in battery usage........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Geo on this one. I had a 12 trolling motor for a couple of years and had 2 deep cycle batteries up front. What I did was run one battery until it was low then switch the leads to the other battery for the rest of the day. I thought this was better just because I was constantly running one battery down and then the other back and forth so when I hooked up my dual bank on board charger both got charged independently to quicken the charge. I switched to a 24 v, variable speed 70lb thrust Minn Kota a couple of years ago and LOVE it. I still have the same dual on board charger that is hooked to both batteries independently and I have a jumper switch between the positives that I unhook at night when I charge just to let each bank charge each battery independently. Wish I had the 24v from the beginning and you will love the extra power when windy days. You can catch the 24 trolling motors at BPS from time to time at pretty good prices on sale. Plus with Xmas coming up, ask for BPS gift cards from everyone that ask and it will cost you even less. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot to mention............I can go 2 FULL days, sometimes 3, depending on how I fish without having to recharge...........

19 ft tracker, 70 lb minn kota Maxxum.

90hp OPTI.

Later,

Geo