Search Fishin.com

Thread: Sauger...?

erogers Guest

Sauger...?

Nobody talking about the Sauger on the Ohio and KY river now....that mean they are biting and everyone is fishin?????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sauger...?

What about Wolf Creek Dam any Sauger action there ????

Post Thanks / Like

i have been to Mcalpine for 5 weekends in a row and the only time we caught fish was when we got the boat out and they came out of 31 feet of water on what is simular to a drop-shot rig wit just a minnow. it has been an extremely slow year for sauger IMO and im hoping that the surge of water that has came through they will move the fish shallow.(:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSKING View Post
    i have been to Mcalpine for 5 weekends in a row and the only time we caught fish was when we got the boat out and they came out of 31 feet of water on what is simular to a drop-shot rig wit just a minnow. it has been an extremely slow year for sauger IMO and im hoping that the surge of water that has came through they will move the fish shallow.(:
    some were caught on the big rocks down by the colgate ditch ,the duck pond should be good too ut the riv is projected to get back up to 30 ft on the lower this week end

not clear anymore!

erogers Guest

Have heard people talk of the duck pond but have no idea what/where it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Sauger...?

Last Saturday & Sunday I blanked both days for sauger. Fished above Markland. Hit my usual creek mouths that i've done good in the past. Sunday was a real fiasco. Fun fishin turned into work with the wind. I said screw it. River temp 42 and had current. WOW! I don't use minnows. Maybe those guys have done better. Still bummed and searching!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I sauger fished KY River back in early November and again the day after Thanksgiving. We caught 8 in early Nov. but blanked in late Nov. I have been reading about different ways to catch them. I'm excited about trying the 3-way rig next time I go. I think I'll put a floating jig head on the business end tipped with a minnow or crawler.

In my limited experience I have caught them on grubs and white BPShops Strata jigging spoons. What other methods do y'all us for sauger? I've heard a lot about hair jigs, grubs, trolling, etc. I also hear a lot about using stinger hooks. How important is this?

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows can't be beat for sauger.Myself and many others use jigs with two to three inch plastic tails in white or chartreuse.Most use 1/4 oz.,I like a little heavier for better to feel the bottom.The closer to the bottom the better chance to catch sauger.Did well last fall but it has been a bummer this year.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smljaw View Post
    I sauger fished KY River back in early November and again the day after Thanksgiving. We caught 8 in early Nov. but blanked in late Nov. I have been reading about different ways to catch them. I'm excited about trying the 3-way rig next time I go. I think I'll put a floating jig head on the business end tipped with a minnow or crawler.

In my limited experience I have caught them on grubs and white BPShops Strata jigging spoons. What other methods do y'all us for sauger? I've heard a lot about hair jigs, grubs, trolling, etc. I also hear a lot about using stinger hooks. How important is this?
    i tie a surgeons knot and attatch a 1/4-1/2 ounce weight and use a #2 arberdeen hook with a minnow if the current is not too swift and we have had good sucsess with that method. BPS sell a sauger jig and it looks like a 1 ounce stand up jig head with a feathery skirt and it is packaged with a stinger hook. i bought one but it is not an affective method when bank fishing, i lost it on the second cast. also the 2 1/2 inch berkley gulp minnow is a method i have had some sucsess with when the water is slightly stained. to rig it i will use a sureons knot and tie two 1/8 ounce jigheads ont the tag ends and rig them with the gup minnow with a steady retrieve and the slight twich every two or three cranks. but all in all its hard to out do the live minnow when fishing for sauger IMO.
    also a 1/4 ounce kastmaster with the bucktail works good as well.

Post Thanks / Like

some of my fishing buddies have been below meldahl dam recently, catching mostly small sauger with the occasional keeper. they have been using jigs and spoons tipped with minnows. the stinger hooks can be the difference wether you catch fish or not. use them!!!!! you have to get your bait to the bottom!! usually fishing the lock wall will lead to success dependeing on barge traffic. it seems like the days with clouds and wind have lead to better fishing, but overall the bite has not been very good. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Try taking a earplug and thread it through the middle of your hook all the way up to the eye and hook your small minnow on and set it in the water and watch the minnow float up. Thats what I do when I am live bait fishing, saves me from buying floating jig heads. The earplugs I get at work for free.