Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Portable Heaters

Anyone have any ideas of the best/safest portable heater to carry in a boat during
    the cold, miserable, rainy, blustry, windy days of late March and early April that
    could be used to warm the hands of a senior fisherman?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Portable Heaters

Joe,
    google... Coleman Sportcat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratos185 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas of the best/safest portable heater to carry in a boat during
    the cold, miserable, rainy, blustry, windy days of late March and early April that
    See Page 5 of the "Off Topic" Board titled "Kerosun Heaters." Read the entire topic for some great information.

Post Thanks / Like

I take a little propane heater with me in the winter. I can't remember the brand name and it's too dang cold to walk out there and see but it's just like the Mr. Heater portable. Something like that should work out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert....sorry I thought you were someone else. You might check out that sportcat though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratos185 View Post
    See if this link will work. It is a pdf from the old board a few years back.

http://www.fishin.com/how-to-stay-warm.pdf

I like the idea about the metal bucket and had been meaning to try it. I think knocking over a heater of any kind is the biggest concern.

Those little packages that you rip open and stick in your gloves and boots work great.
    You can put them in your pockets too if you need to cast bare handed and occasionally clutch them inside your pockets from time to time.

Peter

Peter
    Last edited by peter; 12-22-2008 at 07:21 PM.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Yes sir, its called a KIA RIO. And it will fit in your glove box till ya need it.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Hey Stratos,
    I got one of the Coleman Pro Cats and its works okay. They do not like to get wet when lit, and if wet before lighting you'll have a tough time firing it up. I live in Etown Ky, don't use my Pro Cat much, so if you want to borrow it for a couple weeks to try it before making a buy decision, just email me at bobhamme@comcast.net, or cell 270-735-7814. The Mr Heater's are high, but work well, thrown more heat, and check out Tractor Supply Company as that's were I got the best price on one. There are similar types of heatersa like the Mr Heater, differnet brand name, but same principle, and work just as well. To increase wind resistance, make a larger wind deflector out of sheet metal, and pop rivet to the existing shield/heat refelctor. Experimanet with size.

Post Thanks / Like

Those little packets you can rip open work really well in the back pockets to keep your buns warm. I am skinny and am always cold. I use them in my coat pockets, my jeans back pockets, in my boots and in my gloves.

Man, I need to buy stock in that company, I am personally keeping about 10 people employed...

Post Thanks / Like

I got me a little thing in the automotive section at walmart that plugs into a 12 volt outlet. it seems to work pretty good and for 14 bucks not to expensive, check them out the next time your there.