Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on CL?

Post Thanks / Like

Update on CL?

Hey fellas, I'm in need of an update on the conditions at Cumberland Lake. I had previously posted that my father-in-law and I were going to give striper fishing a shot, however we never made it last week due to both of us getting sick. We are looking to hit it the week after next but I was wondering if the conditions are the same? If they are still holding in the same areas with all the rain we've been getting? And also, what type and lb of line do you all use when fishing stripers in the jumps? Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Update on CL?

anybody?

Post Thanks / Like

let you know tomorrow afternoon when i get back

Post Thanks / Like

the water is bout 47* on main lake, i thought the water looked great. as far as stripers i cant help you, but i did see alot of striper boats on the lake today. Did see people with shinners, cranking, and F-n-F, hope it helps some?

Post Thanks / Like

Any little bit helps, thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by crappie chaser View Post
    the water is bout 47* on main lake, i thought the water looked great. as far as stripers i cant help you, but i did see alot of striper boats on the lake today. Did see people with shinners, cranking, and F-n-F, hope it helps some?

Technonorb Guest

hope you guys are catching what you target or enjoy while you"re targeting, Tech

Post Thanks / Like

I can add a little more. My dad and I bass fished yesterday so this is indirect info but after spending nearly all day on the main lake and seeing very few fish and even less baitfish on the electronics when we were coming in late in the day we graphed a lot of fish and baitfish right where Pumpkin, Clifty, and Creasy come together (at the marinas). There were a lot of gulls there too so they knew where the baitfish were. We didn't see any surface action and the fish on the graph were 50' deep or so but I will bet my bottom dollar that most of those fish were stripers. If I were targeting stripers I would pick out a creek or two and run up them and find where the baitfish (and fish) were on the graph and concentrate on those areas. I hope this may help and good luck when you get out there.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

there were loads of gulls eting bait around the ramsey point area all day long...a couple guys were striperin in them dont know if they caught any or not

Post Thanks / Like

bass fishin was horrible on me today....i was drownin minnows and had little to no luck at all

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to hit the CL next week! I will definetly report back on our trip, hopefully a successful report! HAGD!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone else answered about the line size but what I use is 15lb Pline CX Premium on my bass rods when in the jumps or jigging. For my larger down rods, umbrella rigs etc. I use same CX Premium in 20lb test. You are supposed to use heavier line with the umbrella rigs but never snapped the line yet. When using live bait I use a 17lb fluorocarbon leader.
    For my bass rods I use the 15lb test and never break off but if you drop down to 12 you will loose some baits for sure. Maybe other guys get away with it but if you are consistently catching larger fish 12lb just don’t cut it unless you want to fight them for a really long time and risk loosing it.
    As far as the fish I have not been out for a week was out of town.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland... Fished from sun up to sun down 12/29/08 Great Day weather was nice fishing was terrible. Put in at state dock. Found most bait fish way back in otter and beaver creek it seemed the further we went back the more we found. Saw large marks around some large islands back in creeks. Didn't mark anything on main lake. Trolled all day with artifical bait. No takers. There was plenty of bait and birds but no FISH! But that is how it goes. The sky was clear and the wind was blowing hard and brrrrrr it was cold, it think a little cloud cover would have helped. We use 20 lb mono on all heavy down rods. 15-17 when in the jumps, it really depends on how heavy of lure you have. If you throw lighter top water I would opt for 15 lb for a better cast, but I have had stripers in the river take a lure and snap 15 while in the jumps. This is my first post/reply so I hope it will help you out.