Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stocking Stripers on Cherokee

The plan as I have heard that TWRA will not be stocking Striper on on Cherokee this year WHY??? your guess is as good as mine . Get on the phone and call TWRA maybe if enough of us call they will change there mines. People have moved into the area of Cherokee from all over just to catch the Stripers . Millions of dollars have been spend on homes because of the Stripers also contact the Morristown Chamber of Commerce. The Striper Tournments also bring money into the area. Norris went through the same problem with fish kills but it has come back. YANK

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stocking Stripers on Cherokee

Just curious because I dont really Know but wouldnt stripers really hurt the crappie fishing as well as other species in Cherokee? Not trying to start a fuss or anything just always heard that a striper will eat eat eat anything that it can catch, and they get BIG! Again just curious. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

This should help you answer your questions ... the experts did not find that Stripers were eating the native game fish .. the age of the resavoir and habitat loss on Norris were bigger factors ... The o2 problem experienced in 2007 on Cherokee is a different issue all together

Mississippi State University Study Findings:
    The MSU study (Miranda et al. 1998) made several important findings.

Predation by striped bass on game fish in Norris Reservoir was deemed negligible during the study period.

Direct competition between striped bass and other game fish was also negligible in Norris Reservoir during the study period.

Potential did exist for competition between striped bass and other predators during periods of low forage abundance at the density of striped bass observed during the study.

Post Thanks / Like

Yank,

No worries, The TSBA has taken care of the issue. It is my understanding that the Cherokee striper stocking program will be resummed this year.

Post Thanks / Like

True they will eat anything , but there are still plenty of Crappie on Cherokee ... YANK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie chaser View Post
    Just curious because I dont really Know but wouldnt stripers really hurt the crappie fishing as well as other species in Cherokee? Not trying to start a fuss or anything just always heard that a striper will eat eat eat anything that it can catch, and they get BIG! Again just curious. Thanks
    The Stripers will not eat enough crappie to make a difference. Where the problem may come in is predation on the shad base. They do have large food requirments. The lake will only produce what it can sustain be it Stripers, Crappie or Bass. Fish2win

Post Thanks / Like

also lots of cherokee bass to be caught........try for those it just as fun even though there cloned....lol have fun fishin i will..