Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Etec,after 3 years??

Was looking to buy a used boat with an etec ho.
    Could someone tell me more about these motors?I now have a 200 vmax and love it but it is time to upgrade boat and motor.
    Thanks

Dexter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Etec,after 3 years??

I don't personally own one but I've heard they're terrible. This was 2 years ago though. One guy that I fished with fishes the BFL and Strens and he blew up 4 in one year. The other guy fishes just the Strens and he blew up 2 in one year. They both switched to Yamaha's the following year. I'm sure other people have blown up Yamahas and Mercs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

there is good and bad in all of them....

Post Thanks / Like

If I was buying an 07 or newer I wouldn't hesitate one second, great, strong running motors. The pre-07 models, like any new model classes, had some kinks to work out...they got it right in 07.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00SKEETER View Post
    I don't personally own one but I've heard they're terrible. This was 2 years ago though. One guy that I fished with fishes the BFL and Strens and he blew up 4 in one year. The other guy fishes just the Strens and he blew up 2 in one year. They both switched to Yamaha's the following year. I'm sure other people have blown up Yamahas and Mercs as well.
    Chalk me up to a blown up Yamaha (years ago) but I would still get one. Remember the adage....there are two types of outboards one that has blown and one that is going to blow.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard mixed emotions on the ETEC's. I own a Yamaha HPDI after having had an Evinrude FICHT. Evinrude would not touch them after the one year warranty. So I went with Yamaha as they are a proven entity. If a company does not stand behind their product after only one year, that tells you they just want the money.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 07 200 HO on my guide boat. I am over 600 hours without any problems what so ever...that is more hours than most boats see in a lifetime. Now I too believe you can get a good engine or a bad one in any model. I also will say I have never had a motor with this many hours on it without a least one or two visits to the shop for something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1067 View Post
    I have heard mixed emotions on the ETEC's. I own a Yamaha HPDI after having had an Evinrude FICHT. Evinrude would not touch them after the one year warranty. So I went with Yamaha as they are a proven entity. If a company does not stand behind their product after only one year, that tells you they just want the money.
    the FICHTs were the worst motor that evinrude ever made..you can ask any dealer that an theyll tell you the same,but theyve got there motors fixed now for sure...ive fished out of many boats with all different engines but ive always been an etec fan and always will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    I have an 07 200 HO on my guide boat. I am over 600 hours without any problems what so ever...that is more hours than most boats see in a lifetime. Now I too believe you can get a good engine or a bad one in any model. I also will say I have never had a motor with this many hours on it without a least one or two visits to the shop for something.

Only 600 hrs on it Dave, slowing down or something?? LOL. Amazing number of hours on the water in that short a timeframe.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when you are on the water virtually every day from March thru November on these big lakes it is easy to rack up a lot of hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    Well, when you are on the water virtually every day from March thru November on these big lakes it is easy to rack up a lot of hours.

Dave ,
    I am a friend (client of one of your friends)Terry Backsay.
    I wonder if you could give me some input on a 03 225 hpdi.
    I was going to buy a used boat with 200 hrs on it.
    Do you think that i s to many hours to get involved with?
    I have a 200 vmax 1998 now and was trying to buy a newer boat .
    Thanks
    Tim Dexter from Ct.
    I live in Ky(Columbia) Jan thru March.
    If I get a chance I would love to come out to Ky lake and go out with you.
    What are your rates?

Post Thanks / Like

Tim
    An 03 engine with 200 hours on it works to only about 40 hours a year average put on it so it really is not many hours for that year engine. Like any used engine I would have it checked out by a certified marine mechanic before I bought it but the HPDI has a pretty good track record so if the engine checks out I would feel pretty comfortable with making the buy. Be happy to take you out here on Ky/Barkley if you decide to do so. I do not guide in Jan or Feb but do guide in March and currently still have some openings in this coming March. My rates are 225.00 for 5 hours and 300.00 for 8 hours...covers one or two people. You can see more info on my website at www.kentuckylakeguide.com . Next time you see Terry tell him I said hello.
    Dave