Search Fishin.com

Thread: monster find

Post Thanks / Like

monster find

while behind the beagles in the last week or so I found this, it doesn't qualify as a shed but it's a trophy ...........

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...rack010508.jpg.........

will put it on a board, skull and all after i see what the people at the strader show tell me:

this wont help you in the woods but if you ever get a chance to talk to farmer who plants tons of roll crops, they will tell you they find sheds in the same spots year after year and even begin to watch for them so as not to puncture a tire, so its not all a total random adventure

Post Thanks / Like

Re: monster find

Nice find. Do you know anything about it. Was it EHD or a deer someone shot and didn't find or anything like that? That is a nice rack.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a dang nice 8ptr...looks like its a possible ehd victim to me

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find Rick, I love to find the skulls to.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious when you say it looks like ehd, what is ehd, what do you see in a picture of the skull that gives u any clue thanks for your time,

It was over a mile from a highway, I can narrow it down, old age, blue tongue or a lost deer after being hit, it was in a area where they hunters take it serious.

only way they could have spotlighted was off atv.

I have seen one bigger deer in this area an several about the same size, I have never scored one but i was told this one was roughly 160 I know where about 4-5 buddies have there stands and they have all been told I found it within sight of there stand, till they all get around each other, IM sure every night each one has re-played the what if's ...........

Post Thanks / Like

EHD is what your refering to as blue tounge...a big out break of it came through ky last year because of the big drought and it wiped out ALOT of deer in every county,only reason i say is because it looks like its been dead for a while

Post Thanks / Like

our county was hit real hard, when we would hunt gen/z it wouldnt be unusual to locate several each outting just by the odor, ...........after we learned what was going on we just quit looking for the remains

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but if you find a skull with antlers you must contact your conservation officer and get a carcass/disposal tag before removing the skull from the spot you found it. It does not look like an EHD deer to me. I was told by the c.o. that gave me a tag for the skull I found that if the bumps on the base of the antlers are smoothed over/rounded its not EHD. He said that if there smoothed over the buck had already been rubbing and EHD deer were killed while still in velvet.

Post Thanks / Like

I would disagree with that, because of what we found over a period of months, this blue tongue was a long process in Cumberland county, so I say our deer were exposed to it from early hot summer up to late oct. b4 we had a hint of a frost.....
    If I understood you correctly the bucks were only exposed during velvet, not what we saw, wasn't the disease transmitted by a type of a mite ??? and it took a heavy frost to kill the mite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickhise View Post
    I would disagree with that, because of what we found over a period of months, this blue tongue was a long process in Cumberland county, so I say our deer were exposed to it from early hot summer up to late oct. b4 we had a hint of a frost.....
    If I understood you correctly the bucks were only exposed during velvet, not what we saw, wasn't the disease transmitted by a type of a mite ??? and it took a heavy frost to kill the mite

You are right it is a small mite and it doesn't die until after a frost. The drought conditions and unseasonably warm temps are what made the ehd outbreak so bad last season.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no wildlife biologist I'm just going by the information shown to me by the conservation officer that gave me the carcass tags. Three different skulls of bucks were found and you could definetly tell the difference at the bases of the antlers if the had been rubbing or not. Two were still in velvet and one was not.One grossed over 150 the other two were around 140.(two ten pointers and an eleven) No matter what the case is still ***** that all these mature bucks were killed because of the EHD outbreak. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily we only found 1 dead one on our place last year but it also was a dandy 8 pointer...alot of people ive talked to this year have blamed EHD for not seeing alot of deer this year,i dont know if that was the case for our farm or not but we didnt see the usual amount of deer this year neither