Search Fishin.com

Thread: Shadow boats?

Post Thanks / Like

Shadow boats?

Have any of you had any experiences with a Shadow bass boat? I'm thinking about buying one, and haven't heard anything about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shadow boats?

I would stay away IMHO seen to many of them of with transoms rotted out

Post Thanks / Like

The one I've been looking at is a 1990 model. It has a 150 Evinrude xp on it, which runs fine. The transom has been reinforced by a large metal plate looks like whoever done it did the job right. As low as the price is on it, if it gets me through a few seasons, it should be worth it. I will keep that in mind about the transoms, and check it out better. Thanks for the info nightbasser73!

Post Thanks / Like

Usually those large metal plates on the transom are some type of band-aid that only masks a larger problem. The one on the Shadow could have been done as a preventative measure but I would check it out thoroughly.

Post Thanks / Like

He says its so solid that I could jump up and down on the motor and the transom wouldn't flex. I got to thinking the motor and new trolling motor would be worth most of the asking price alone.

Post Thanks / Like

you need to look at the safety part of the shadow, zero floation in the boat,i had one, and when i found out there was no floation in the boat i got rid of it,i swamped it on monroe one morning and the water temp was 34 degrees,not a good thought that the boat will go to the bottom lake real quick

Post Thanks / Like

Eww. That isn't good. They sound like they were only built to speed around the lake in until the transom breaks and your motor falls off and your boat sinks. Thanks for the info guys. I never knew they were so cheaply made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Eww. That isn't good. They sound like they were only built to speed around the lake in until the transom breaks and your motor falls off and your boat sinks. Thanks for the info guys. I never knew they were so cheaply made.
    Hello, They arent cheaply made and the transom was basically the only issue they had. It was only an issue after years of running and not being replaced. THey do have floatation and if it is a tunnel hull as this was the most popular model and the model you see around some now it was in the tunnels. It isnt much but it would serve its purpose and has on occasion. THe only issue I would worry about with a shadow if it is a tunnel hull is in really hard turns the tunnels catch hard and can throw a passenger out but with a 150 i dont think it would be a problem. They are a fast, very fast hull. If rigged with the same motor are faster than bullets. THe transom could be a problem considering its a 90 model but you get what you pay for and if the guy said its strong it would probably work, My guess is for what the price is it would serve it purpose obviously its no z series ranger or a new 21xd but they are good boats to fish out of...

Post Thanks / Like

I was with Billy Westmorland when his Shadow sunk (hit bottom) in 17-foot of water on Lake Erie one November day in 1988! The last time I set foot in a Shadow! Want to know more why the boat sank? Send me a PM!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12VoltMan View Post
    I was with Billy Westmorland when his Shadow sunk (hit bottom) in 17-foot of water on Lake Erie one November day in 1988! The last time I set foot in a Shadow! Want to know more why the boat sank? Send me a PM!
    You got to fish with the best smallmouth fisherman to ever breath air, that's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Shadow boats?

It was awesome. Billy outfished everyone in the boat 2 to 1, including the guide who made his living fishing for smallmouth on Lake Erie. Billy was a truley wonderful person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckone View Post
    Hello, They arent cheaply made and the transom was basically the only issue they had. It was only an issue after years of running and not being replaced. THey do have floatation and if it is a tunnel hull as this was the most popular model and the model you see around some now it was in the tunnels. It isnt much but it would serve its purpose and has on occasion. THe only issue I would worry about with a shadow if it is a tunnel hull is in really hard turns the tunnels catch hard and can throw a passenger out but with a 150 i dont think it would be a problem. They are a fast, very fast hull. If rigged with the same motor are faster than bullets. THe transom could be a problem considering its a 90 model but you get what you pay for and if the guy said its strong it would probably work, My guess is for what the price is it would serve it purpose obviously its no z series ranger or a new 21xd but they are good boats to fish out of...
    Have you or any one else here ever did a transom replacement on a shadow ? I have a friend that has one, he is wanting me to do his, he was quoted 2700 ! The shop that quoted that price said the whole top was glassed down to hull, instead of screws or rivets ?
    Can anyone confirm this ? I have yet to see this boat so I'm just going by what he told me .. we live about 50 miles apart so I haven't been able to see the boat yet

Ive never heard of a shadow until he got this one , since then Ive researched some on them ... very little info out there .. must have not made very many of them

Thanx
    Sean