Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

flotation foam replacement??

i am gutting my jon boat to do some modifications to it and need to replace the old foam in it because it is old and water logged. does anyone know what type of foam i need or where to get it?? i have some high grade poly styrene pannels at work kinda like what the coolers are made of and wonering if thase would work or is there a certain type of foam that has to be used? greatful for any and every bit of info on this matter. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: flotation foam replacement??

Just finished gutting mine as well and I must say the foam is tuff to come by. Best price I found was on ebay Search Urethane Liquid Pour Foam. The guys selling this stuff have a guide on how much you need vs how much your boat weighs. I will try to put a link at the bottom. Hope this helps you out. By the way I would avoid the sheets of polystyrine it is messy, breaks down in weather, is not resistant to gas and other chemicals that will just melt it down rendering it usless.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Urethane-Liquid-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSKING View Post
    i am gutting my jon boat to do some modifications to it and need to replace the old foam in it because it is old and water logged. does anyone know what type of foam i need or where to get it?? i have some high grade poly styrene pannels at work kinda like what the coolers are made of and wonering if thase would work or is there a certain type of foam that has to be used? greatful for any and every bit of info on this matter. Thanks
    Go to any fiberglass supplier, Like Advanced Plastics in Nashville, look in your local phone book under fiberglass supplies. If you live in a fairly large city or if you have any boat builders near by .. then you will have a fiberglass supply shop near by.

You want 2lb pourable foam, comes in gallon cans part A and part B price is between 60-90 for A&B depends on what you have available in your area , Advanced plastics is about 68 for the A&B mix together in Equal parts .. do only a quart at a time, you can keep adding more, but you will have very little time to mix and pour in around 1 minute or so before it starts swelling up.

For best results need to do at 80 degrees or higher, you will get more foam expansion for your buck. I used a propane heater to heat up my work area to proper temp.. its not flammable so don't have to worry about going boom.

Post Thanks / Like

use great stuff and just fill the place you need with it them trim the extra off and replace it back on your boat ..... it acts the and looks the same

Post Thanks / Like

Forget the foam and pack it with 1 and 2 litre plastic soda or water bottles. I've seen so many of the foam flotations that have waterlogged and rotted everything. The foam you would want to use is CLOSED CELL. Most everything you see out there is OPEN cell (great stuff) one prick of the "peal" and it becomes a big sponge. The styrofoam is attacked by petroluem products. Using the water and soda plastic bottles keeps everything dry and provides you with good floatation. They are impervious to most everything and they are Cheap.

Good Luck.