Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Powder paint fluid bed

If anybody likes to make their own jigs, here are instructions for making a fluid bed. I built one for 30.00 and it works great. If you buy one its 100.00.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...ad.php?t=65633

rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powder paint fluid bed

How does it work, I understand the powder cloud but do you still have to heat the weight? And if so what have you found is the best way? I just made 100 standup jigs and took 5 hours getting them perfect before paint, I did the powder paint "dip" method and they looked good but after I baked the paint ran and filled the places I just cleaned out!!! I had to remelt and I'm starting all over - help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fluid bed keeps the powder "fluffed up". Looks like boiling water when its running right. Heat the jig, dip and swirl for a second or two, and then hang the jig to cool. Cure them in an oven later.

If your paint was running or caked over the hook eye when curing you either had the jig too hot or added too much powder.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    How does it work, I understand the powder cloud but do you still have to heat the weight? And if so what have you found is the best way? I just made 100 standup jigs and took 5 hours getting them perfect before paint, I did the powder paint "dip" method and they looked good but after I baked the paint ran and filled the places I just cleaned out!!! I had to remelt and I'm starting all over - help!!
    Yes you have to heat the jig. I went to Home Depot and bought a 19.00 heat gun that has two settings. 750 and 1000 degrees. Use the 750 setting. It only takes 3 or 5 seconds to heat the jig head. When you dip it in the fluid bed, the bed it keeps the paint fluffed and puts a thin coat of paint on. Thick paint will run when you bake it.

Pro Tech poweder paint says bake at 350* for 20 mins but I have found that 10 mins for black, brown and watermelon will cure the paint. Make sure you clean the paint out of the hook eyes before you bake it.

My fluid bed works great and only cost me 30 dollars vs 100.00

Hope this helps, let me know your results.
    rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

My wife had an old toaster oven she did not use any more and I made a rack to hang the jigs on the oven has a heat setting I use this to warm the jigs about ten then take them out with needle nose dip them in paint hang to cure then back in the oven to cure and reflow. Works great however I need to clarify the fact she does not use toaster oven anymore since it has paint inside it.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Powder paint fluid bed

Quote Originally Posted by rustedhook View Post
    If anybody likes to make their own jigs, here are instructions for making a fluid bed. I built one for 30.00 and it works great. If you buy one its 100.00.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...ad.php?t=65633

rustedhook
    I made a fluid bed almost exactly like you outlined but I have a question,
    - with a very minimal amount of air (1-2 psi) is there supposed to be a huge cloud flying around? I actually have a regulator that I can keep the pressure REAL low but the powder blows every which way but loose with barely any air at all (I own a business that works with pressure and I have some pretty expensive regulators that are top of the line in consistency and water-free) but the "volcanoes" poof the powder allot! Is it because I am using a coffee filter? Should I use something different? I have seen how these should work but mine is like a powder storm!

Post Thanks / Like

I made a fluid bed almost exactly like you outlined but I have a question,
    - with a very minimal amount of air (1-2 psi) is there supposed to be a huge cloud flying around? I actually have a regulator that I can keep the pressure REAL low but the powder blows every which way but loose with barely any air at all (I own a business that works with pressure and I have some pretty expensive regulators that are top of the line in consistency and water-free) but the "volcanoes" poof the powder allot! Is it because I am using a coffee filter? Should I use something different? I have seen how these should work but mine is like a powder storm!
    It takes some playing with to get the air right. Also use a little heaver filter. If you made it with the dual outlet pump like in the pictures, here is what I wound up doing to control the volcanos. In the picture the guy uses only one air valve. I put one inline on each air line. Also on the opposite side where the air enters the bootom of the bed I put one there also. That makes three places I can control the air.

I get a volcano every now and then but with the three air valves I can get the paint to boil.

Let me know if this helps.
    rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

So you have "3" places air enters the unit? I only have the one and the air seems to spew around the outside edge of the filter

Post Thanks / Like

So you have "3" places air enters the unit? I only have the one and the air seems to spew around the outside edge of the filter
    If you seend me an email address I can send you pictures. Just one place air enters but my pump is a dual air pump. I have two air lines going to a T in the bottom of the bed. Each air line has a valve that I can control the air going in. On the oppisite side I have an air valve I can let some air out.