Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Seasonal Catch & Release Trout Streams

Frankfort, Ky. – We are now in that long, hard slog of winter; the bleak period between New Year’s and the coming of warm weather in March. Hunting seasons are winding down and those without a boat can’t fish Lake Cumberland for striped bass or Laurel River Lake for smallmouth bass. It is the time of doldrums.

But, a spinning or fly rod and a few lures will get a trout wiggling in your landing net and lift your spirits during this time of cold weather and short days. Kentucky has 13 seasonal catch-and-release trout streams scattered throughout the state that offer outstanding fishing throughout the winter months.

“I caught 19 trout standing in the same place recently on Big Bone Creek,” said John Guthrie, an expert trout angler and member of the Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers. “The fish are in the deeper holes and bigger pools. I didn’t catch any in pocket water or runs.”

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources implemented the seasonal catch-and-release trout streams program in 1999. Under seasonal catch-and-release regulations, all trout caught from October 1 through March 31 in specially designated streams must be released immediately.

Only artificial baits may be used for trout in these streams during the catch and release season. Anglers may not use organic baits such as PowerBait, corn, cheese or salmon eggs, or live baits such as worms or minnows.

“The goal of the program is to delay the harvest so the trout stay in the stream longer,” said Dave Dreves, fishery research biologist for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. “In a lot of these streams, a lot of the freshly stocked hatchery fish are caught out quickly during spring and summer. Most are gone in a few days. They haven’t gotten stream wise yet and bite about anything. The catch-and-release season gives them time to acclimate and grow.”

Anglers can carry all the lures needed to catch winter trout in a plastic sandwich bag. “I’ve had good luck with in-line spinners,” Dreves said. “They also hit Trout Magnets and small crankbaits.”

Fly anglers should carry some nymph patterns in their fly box. “I caught them on a bead head pheasant tail nymph in sizes 12 and 14,” said Guthrie. “I started with Clouser minnows and wooly buggers with no luck, but started hammering them when I switched to nymphs.”

Dreves also prefers nymphs. Those that imitate mayflies, such as the hare’s ear nymph, are his favorites for winter fishing, but he also casts a more generalist pattern, such as the Prince nymph.

Stonefly imitations also produce in winter. “A lot of winter stoneflies are small,” Dreves said. “You’ll want to cast smaller stonefly imitations.”

A shorter, 3- to 4-weight fly rod is the best choice to cast nymphs and stoneflies. “For creeks as small as Big Bone, I like a shorter fly rod, between 6½ to 8 feet,” Guthrie said. “Longer rods are harder to cast with the limited space. Plus, casts don’t need to be very long.”

The best of the 13 seasonal catch-and-release streams is Rock Creek in McCreary County. “East Fork of Indian Creek in the Red River Gorge Geologic Area is probably second and then Swift Camp Creek,” Dreves said. “Swift Camp Creek is in the Clifty Wilderness Area of Red River Gorge. It is a unique fishing experience.”

Unlike the other 12 specially designated streams, the catch-and-release trout season on Swift Camp Creek runs until May 31.

Shake off the winter blues with a jumping trout. Get out and take advantage of a unique fishing opportunity. Spring will be here before you know it.

Seasonal Catch and Release Trout Streams:

Bark Camp Creek – Whitley County
    Beaver Creek – Wayne County
    Big Bone Creek – Boone County
    Cane Creek – Laurel County
    Casey Creek – Trigg County
    Clear Creek – Bell County
    East Fork, Indian Creek – Menifee County
    Elk Spring Creek – Wayne County
    Left Fork, Beaver Creek – Floyd County
    Middle Fork, Red River – Powell, Wolfe counties
    Otter Creek – Meade County (Otter Creek Park is temporarily closed to public access)
    Rock Creek – McCreary County
    Swift Camp Creek – Wolfe County (season closes May 31)

KY Fish & Wildlife

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seasonal Catch & Release Trout Streams

Maybe sometime soon I'll have the time and money to return to the Gorge, its...well its the Gorge. Peter, you sound pretty knowledgeable about Ky trout streams. Do you know any legal way to fish Otter Creek? I was wondering if perhaps you can gain access from Ft. Knox? Any answer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to fish Otter Creek is on post. You need a post fishing permit and you are limited to certain section of the creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir.