Search Fishin.com

Thread: wawasee?

Post Thanks / Like

wawasee?

Has anybody had any experience fishing wawasee ( not sure if spelled correct) Plan on heading their this spring to fish that deep clear water and have never fished it. I read one of kvd's books and he mentions fishing this lake several times. I know they have a sweet bar in the middle called the frog? Any advice would be great on fishing this lake, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wawasee?

Sweet bar? What's that all about, not sure what you mean there.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, there is a bar on the lake called "The Frog" and you can dock your boat right on the side...it's off a channel on the NW side of the lake. Offers food and drinks. Not sure if its open all year long tho.

As for fishing, no help here. have only been up there in the summer when people are fishing the weed beds. But there are big Pike in the lake too, so might lose some lures.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the drop offs all the way from the south side of morrison island to cedar point would hold some fish. Along with the other numerous drop-offs and holes.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info, i'm going to fish it at some time in 2009 not sure, i'll get a map and work off of that and maybe stop by the frog for a cold beverage...

Post Thanks / Like

Right after ice out there is some pretty good perch fishing on the flats. Out from the public access is a popular spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrap View Post
    Right after ice out there is some pretty good perch fishing on the flats. Out from the public access is a popular spot.
    so for a new guy heading down there when ice out, where is the public launch. I usually fish Syracuse but always wanted to hit wawasee! Thanks OK found it!! See ya on the water.
    Last edited by dunk50; 02-07-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great place to fish - especially before the lake is covered with boats. Some good info can be found at a website about Lake Wawasee here: http://www.wawascene.com

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I fished it back in 2002 with a guy that finished 3rd in a federation T. Everyone was fishing the grass etc. except us. we went and skipped jigs and hula grubs up under docks and killed them. each dock only had one or two fish on it but he landed two 4 pounders and filled out a limit with 3 other small ones and ended up with just under 14 pounds. That use to be a good weight for that lake but I don't know if it has changed or not. We focused on docks that had a feeder creek near them or deeper water close by.
    If it is sunny out I would deffintly check out some of the docks. We had about 3 home owners that cussed us from their house decks because we were fishing their docks. I didn't care to go back their b/c of the unfriendly experience of the people in that town. Even at the local fast food joints people would yell LAKER FAGS when they drove by us pulling our boat in the drive threw.
    So never went back. I think the federation stopped going up there too b/c of the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've heard a bunch of horror stories between homeowners and bass fisherman. Personally, I haven't had any bad experience. For one, I don't like dock fishing, am not good at it so I don't do it very often. If I can catch them just as well sitting in the middle of the lake get pounded by the waves. I'll be in the middle of the lake. Those times that I do go to the docks, I make SURE to stay far enough away from them and not hit any part of the dock with my lure. If I see a woman out on the dock, especially a hot one. I always say don't worry ma'am, I'm only here for the b'aSS.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an very old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Yeah, I've heard a bunch of horror stories between homeowners and bass fisherman. Personally, I haven't had any bad experience. For one, I don't like dock fishing, am not good at it so I don't do it very often. If I can catch them just as well sitting in the middle of the lake get pounded by the waves. I'll be in the middle of the lake. Those times that I do go to the docks, I make SURE to stay far enough away from them and not hit any part of the dock with my lure. If I see a woman out on the dock, especially a hot one. I always say don't worry ma'am, I'm only here for the b'aSS.

Old thread being brought back up. This thread was started in 2009.