Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

switching from 12/24 to straight 24

I just replaced my trolling motor and need help, the plug has 4 prongs but only 3 wires, the old troller was a 12/24 the new one is straight 24. on the plug there are 2 red wires and 1 black. the new troller has only 2 wires red and black. i know this is simple but i don't have any power when i plug it in. any help would be great. BTW i went from a motorguide to a motorguide if this helps

thanks alot
    harry

Post Thanks / Like

Re: switching from 12/24 to straight 24

I had the same issue when my father-in-law (the electrian) helped me install my new troller motor. The motor did not work when I plugged it into the socket. The boat is setup for a 12/24. It was a good thing the in-law was there. He changed the wires at the plug and it has worked just fine since then. Sorry I cant give you more information, but the change is in the plug. He toke the cover off the plug and changed the wire setup. This was one of the new 24 volt Moter Guide motors.

Hope this Helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by findingem View Post
    I had the same issue when my father-in-law (the electrian) helped me install my new troller motor. The motor did not work when I plugged it into the socket. The boat is setup for a 12/24. It was a good thing the in-law was there. He changed the wires at the plug and it has worked just fine since then. Sorry I cant give you more information, but the change is in the plug. He toke the cover off the plug and changed the wire setup. This was one of the new 24 volt Moter Guide motors.

Hope this Helps
    Take the plug apart. You will see inside of it it is marked 12 / 24 . The black wire stays the same the red one is changed. If the 12 / 24 is not readable just look real close to the plug . You can see a jumper in it. That is what connects the batteries together inside the plug. Oh yea tighten ALL the screws after since it can arc cause your relays to kick. If you can't figure it out just pick up a new plug they are around 25 bucks . Then you can see what I am talking about . The wires stick in a hole then you tighten a screw

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info the plug for the troller is sealed but the recepticle on the boat i can get to it. can i change anything here???

Post Thanks / Like

Check to make sure your fuse some where in the boat is not blown or out. I have a tracker boat and on the passenger side there is a plate that says battery 1. and battery 2, check to see how many wires are ran to back of the boat like two black or 2 reds or 2 black and 1 red, and 1 orange. What I am trying to say is to make sure what you have hooked up in the front matches whats in the back, like is one of the black wires in front hooked up but the wrong black wire in the rear connected to the battery. Also make sure you check your owners manual for the proper fuse for that trolling motor and where to install it.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks to all for the help i got it hooked up and working. as usual i was over thinking it!!! it is all good now. I might have to get out this week to try it

thanks again