Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

hybrid crappie in indian lake?

someone told me there are hybrid crappie stocked in indian lake in the hoosier national forestry close to tell city. i'm headed there to fish this spring and wondering if i could get some help on fishing the lake for crappie. thanks in advance for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hybrid crappie in indian lake?

I've never heard of hybrid crappie? Is their such thing?? Be sure to let us know if u run into them.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of hybrid crappie either. I think Indian has both black and white crappies so maybe they cross-breed???

Post Thanks / Like

i looked it up on the internet and there is such a thing as hybrid crappie that you can buy to stock. the story i heard is that the hoosier national forestry is federal run and not state run and that is who stocks the hybrid crappie but who knows. let me know if anyone finds anything out!

Post Thanks / Like

We fish Indian mainly for redears and gills but do catch some crappie too. It is a great and beautiful place as are the other lakes Celina and Tipsaw. Never heard anything about hybrid crappie but let us know if you catch any.

Post Thanks / Like

are the crappie that you catch in indian pretty nice? what about the readear and gills? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycoolj32 View Post
    are the crappie that you catch in indian pretty nice? what about the readear and gills? thanks
    Yes, yes and yes. While we have never targeted crappies we have caught several while fishing for the gills and redears. We use 1/64th oz jigs tipped with beemoths for all of them. Also one of our favorite lake for fly fishing for gills and redears.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    Yes, yes and yes. While we have never targeted crappies we have caught several while fishing for the gills and redears. We use 1/64th oz jigs tipped with beemoths for all of them. Also one of our favorite lake for fly fishing for gills and redears.
    Again..........we're REALLY going to have to HOOKUP and fish..........Hoosier Nat is one of my favorite "quick" places to fish.

I can get there in 45 minutes...........Patoka 115 minutes, John Hay 60 minutes.......THE Dead Sea.......Deam Lake........15 minutes.

All of these are close.........I also fish Hardy, and a couple more, but Hoosier Nat lakes give me the best of ALL worlds.

Clear Deep lakes..........Celina, Shallow MUDHOLE, with LOTS of bass, Indian....LOTS and LOTS of Grass for some really fun topwater action......Tipsaw.

ON a weekend trip, we will hit all 3, and fish them differently, based on conditions.......sometimes we pull off one lake and head to the OTHER based on conditions.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Again..........we're REALLY going to have to HOOKUP and fish..........Hoosier Nat is one of my favorite "quick" places to fish.

I can get there in 45 minutes...........Patoka 115 minutes, John Hay 60 minutes.......THE Dead Sea.......Deam Lake........15 minutes.

All of these are close.........I also fish Hardy, and a couple more, but Hoosier Nat lakes give me the best of ALL worlds.

Clear Deep lakes..........Celina, Shallow MUDHOLE, with LOTS of bass, Indian....LOTS and LOTS of Grass for some really fun topwater action......Tipsaw.

ON a weekend trip, we will hit all 3, and fish them differently, based on conditions.......sometimes we pull off one lake and head to the OTHER based on conditions.

Later,

Geo
    We will plan on it Geo. Hey you will even get to see your old AutoPilot again. Plan to hit the crappies at Patoka again Monday. Just may have to keep some of those for a snack. Since they are shallow I have been thinking of taking the fly rod. Should be a ball if they are still there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    We will plan on it Geo. Hey you will even get to see your old AutoPilot again. Plan to hit the crappies at Patoka again Monday. Just may have to keep some of those for a snack. Since they are shallow I have been thinking of taking the fly rod. Should be a ball if they are still there.
    I might try to come down wednesday after work..........maybe Tuesday.......

Shoot me a private message with some hints on the crappies........

I'm not looking for specific spots, but I've not fished the lake for YEARS for crappies, but would love to take a few home.

Thanks.

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Indian is federal and not state, but the hybrid crappie thing doesn't make much sense. We catch both black and white crappie out of it, but no "hybrids". It's not a bad crappie fishery, but it's best for gills and redear.