Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Camping at Rockhouse (Cumberland River)

Hey guys,
    My fishing buddies and I usually camp at Foggy Bottom Campground right below Wolf Creek Dam when we do our fishing down there. But I am looking to change it up a bit and find another option.

I have found numerous accounts of camping being popular at Rockhouse, but I haven't been able to find any other information on it other than the KDFW says that there is year-round camping at that site.
    Is it legal to camp there?
    Is there someone I need to talk to?
    Is there a fee?

Any info or ideas would be really helpful. Also if anyone knows of any other campsites along the river, please let me know. Trying to find a calmer place to camp and fish when they're pushing serious water out of the dam, like they are now.

Thanks,
    CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Camping at Rockhouse (Cumberland River)

Depending on generation I have seen people camping on the numerous islands and shoals throughout the river - not sure I would or if you even can with heavy generation though. When I go I usually camp (sleep in my truck would be a better word) at the more secluded launch ramps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider View Post
    Depending on generation I have seen people camping on the numerous islands and shoals throughout the river - not sure I would or if you even can with heavy generation though. When I go I usually camp (sleep in my truck would be a better word) at the more secluded launch ramps.
    I wouldn't really care to just set up camp at Rockhouse, just don't want to step on anyones toes and have an issue.

Sleeping on islands is a little dicey if you ask me, unless you have the guy thats running the generator personally calling you to warn you that he is turning it on. Can't imagine waking up to that problem, don't think I would sleep very well with that on my mind regardless of what the generation schedules say.

I am neither above nor opposed to sleeping in the truck. We have never been to any other ramps besides the one at the dam, the Little Indian Creek ramp right near the dam and I have been down to McMillian's Ferry, none of which I would consider secluded enough to avoid law enforcement/game wardens. Which do you consider to be the more secluded ramps? PM me if you don't want to share that info publicly.

Does anyone know any regularly cheap ($45 or less) hotels along the river? Wouldn't really give a crap if it wasn't 20 degrees at night, but I'd rather not sleep in that if I can help it.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe there's a Cumberland Lodge in Burkesville you can stay at that doesn't cost a lot. It's a no frills sort of place, you'll be lucky to get a cup of coffee from the main lobby in the mornings but it's smack dab on the river bank. I really can't see spending the night on a gravel bar.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few little places to rent at the Helm's Landing ramp. THey are pretty nice they have a kitchen tv and you can throw a rock into the river from your room. They are very reasonable. Personally I always have better luck from Helms landing to wimphrys ferry than I do up towards the dam, especially for the big browns, almost always catch more browns and walleye down there than rainbows. I will see if I still have thier number.

Post Thanks / Like

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff6600]875 Helm Landing Rd., Jamestown, KY 42629, 270-343-3777 days (3775) evenings here is the number [/COLOR][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

People do camp back behind the parking area at the Rock House, well up above the river. I don't believe it's a state-sponsored or managed in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help guys.

I actually went down on a fishing/exploratory trip today and drove down to both Helm's Landing and Rock House, so I saw everything you are talking about. Helms was a nice change from the dam area, just wish my buddy would hurry up on getting his boat so we can take advantage of those big browns and walleye. Rock House looks promising too, still find it hard to believe that there is somewhere you can camp for free, haha.