Search Fishin.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Your Personal Best Bass?

Well it won't be long before that water temp starts to rise. when it does I'll be a bassin......

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Your Personal Best Bass?

Quote Originally Posted by wishniwasfishn View Post
    Mine was a 8.5lb largemouth on a private 25 acre watershed lake, down around rough river, hit a white spinnerbait in early spring around the drain pipe. I know this is kind of cheating since it was private and nobody else fished in it, but man was it fun, she was full of eggs, and beautiful, didnt have a camera, so I measure her, weighed her, and threw her back. Got a fiberglass replica mad at Mike's taxidermist, and it looks great. Really glad I didnt kill her, cause I know she is still there making more big babies.
    Thats great you released her, now someone else can enjoy that thrill.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Your Personal Best Bass?

7.12oz largmouth at lake barkley march 31'st on rapala DT 7 flat series
    3.6oz smallmouth center hill lake spinnerbait in january
    a few 6lb largmouths on ky. barkley. and lake malone

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Personal Best Bass?

I've caught a few bigger...a 7.9 largemouth on Bever Lake, Ky. (on 8 pound test, black worm, on my crappie rod); and a 6.8 smallmouth at Dale (Ky. side, on 6 pound test, on a jerk bait)....but my personal best was a smallmouth that went 5.18 from the Ohio River (my largest there); that won me $50,000.00..... You can say without a doubt, that is one catch that really counted!!!! Made 4 cast that Sunday morning (Big Bass Big Cash tournament)... large mouth 2.9lbs on my very first cast with my special buzz bait; (15 pound big game line)...then on the 4th cast...came the smallmouth of a life time!!!!! Also on the same buzz bait of course. Was in very swift current (trolling motor had difficulty keeping us in the "hot spot" the current was so strong);...in 4 feet of water, with bolders, and shell bottom...river was up that Sunday at 20ft over flood pool, if Im not mistaken; it rained that Friday evening 7 inches in 2 hours, the streets were flooded. Took about 5 min. to land fish..jumped 5 times...and went under the boat twice for two long runs again!! Had to pass 2 hours of lie detector tests...(6 strait test, one right after the other, by a State Trooper that has administered the test for over 22 years). Recieved a check from the Kentucky Resturant Association the same day over a steak dinner from the Outback! And if that wasn't enough...my partner, Big Dog.. he got the net under the "50 Grand"...that fallowing year...same spot...same bait...he caught a large mouth that went 4.71...we won it again for 20 Grand!!! This time, I got the net under this pig...as the trailer hook came out of her mouth, on her last jump next to the boat! I feel that this was the most exciting and the most significant sporting event that has hit this town in years...but few even noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by demodan View Post
    I've caught a few bigger...a 7.9 largemouth on Bever Lake, Ky. (on 8 pound test, black worm, on my crappie rod); and a 6.8 smallmouth at Dale (Ky. side, on 6 pound test, on a jerk bait)....but my personal best was a smallmouth that went 5.18 from the Ohio River (my largest there); that won me $50,000.00..... You can say without a doubt, that is one catch that really counted!!!! Made 4 cast that Sunday morning (Big Bass Big Cash tournament)... large mouth 2.9lbs on my very first cast with my special buzz bait; (15 pound big game line)...then on the 4th cast...came the smallmouth of a life time!!!!! Also on the same buzz bait of course. Was in very swift current (trolling motor had difficulty keeping us in the "hot spot" the current was so strong);...in 4 feet of water, with bolders, and shell bottom...river was up that Sunday at 20ft over flood pool, if Im not mistaken; it rained that Friday evening 7 inches in 2 hours, the streets were flooded. Took about 5 min. to land fish..jumped 5 times...and went under the boat twice for two long runs again!! Had to pass 2 hours of lie detector tests...(6 strait test, one right after the other, by a State Trooper that has administered the test for over 22 years). Recieved a check from the Kentucky Resturant Association the same day over a steak dinner from the Outback! And if that wasn't enough...my partner, Big Dog.. he got the net under the "50 Grand"...that fallowing year...same spot...same bait...he caught a large mouth that went 4.71...we won it again for 20 Grand!!! This time, I got the net under this pig...as the trailer hook came out of her mouth, on her last jump next to the boat! I feel that this was the most exciting and the most significant sporting event that has hit this town in years...but few even noticed.
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg!!!! Congratulations, sounds like you hit the lottery 2 years in a row. I had read about this, and knew the same people had won it 2 years in a row but didnt know you frequented this board. Great story, with some nice cash to go with it. Dont mean to be nosy, but did they tax the crap out of your money, bet our wonderful gubment took about half. I would say them two fish you caught are etched in your mind forever.

Post Thanks / Like

YES....when you know you have a fish on the line worth 50 grand...or even 20 grand....it's a rush like nothing I've ever experienced. Praying that it would shake loose!They didn't take the taxes out...It was up to me. I went strait to my tax man the next day...and he figured out how much it "might" come too. So I set that amount aside for payment. I split the money with my partner 50/50...so out of 25 grand, (my split...on the first win)...Uncle Sam took $4,800.00 grand abouts. And out of 10 grand, (my split)....Uncle Sam took $3,200.00 grand. After the first win....I got two checks made out for 25 grand...one in the name of my partner...and the other made out in the name of my wife; I told her to do what she wanted with the money... that was best for the family. She gave me 25 grand worth of sex that night, no doubt about that!!!!!!....and I've never heard her complain again...about me fishing tournaments or fishing period!!!!!
    Oh...and giving my partner the other half (25 grand), was very cool. We met in a parking lot at Barren Lake, a week after our win, at 4:30 am...pre-fishing for another weekend tournament...It was foggy, dark...knowbody was there..and I walked up to him and gave him a check for $25,100.00...and congradulated him for his hard work and having the balls to do what we had to do, we were zipped and clipped, I can tell you that his TR21 Triton still has battle scars from that day. Not to many guys would have taken thier nice bass boat into.... what we knew could win the whole show...we swung for the fence...called the shot...and did exactally what we wanted, and knew what could happen. That in it's self was the most incredible aspect of the catch....the conditions were right on..we planned our attack, ...and it worked!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I caught 2 5+ pounders within 15 minutes of each other on a private lake last summer on a Motor Oil Power worm, 3/0 EWG, 8lb Fireline. If I knew a way to retrieve photos from an old cell phone I'd post the pics. I will never throw that phone out because of that reason.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal best LM was a 10lb 1oz hog caught at Beaver Lake in Dubois Co. Ind. Caught it on April 10,1978. I was using a black jig with a 4" black worm trailer, fishing along the rip rap of the dam. Caught several over 5.5 on that lake. She had spawned out!! I carried her around for several hrs. before I weighed her at a local Bait Shop.Man I would have liked to have weighed her a few days earlier.

My largest SM was from KY Lake on a jig and pig during spring break 1985. She weighed 6lb 2oz on my Rapala fishing scale that I carried in my boat.

This is a picture on the LM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by demodan View Post
    Unbelieveable story, i think i would have had a massive heart attack right their, because i get very excited when i catch nice fish, (Ike has nothing on me). By the way you need a partner for your next tourney??????

Post Thanks / Like

wish we could....The KRA dropped the tournament, becouse of "lack of participation" by local anglers. They didn't want to lose that much money again...to anybody. All they wanted to do was come close to breaking even...but they lost a bunch of $$$. There is the same tournament in Ark., on the Ark. River!!!!...There, the big bass pays 100,000.00!!! Im thinking about fishing that this year. Now that would be crazy...if I won that too!!! ha ha ha...LMAO.