Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye

Any reports on the Walleye action in Laurel, C-land or in the tailwaters? I only live about 10min away from flattwoods on Laurel I have heard theat the walleye make thier run up to the old city dam in Feb- Mar. Just wondering if anyone has heard any sucsess on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Walleye

come on guys noome has ever fished for walleye on laurel??

Post Thanks / Like

Are you asking about Laurel Branch?
    I love walleye fishing but never hit that one!

Post Thanks / Like

No, he's asking about Laurel River Lake, as flatwoods ramp is on that lake. WE fish that lake very often,(started much more often in august ) but at this point we've caught about everything that swims there except walleyes

Post Thanks / Like

Laurel River lake is correct. I see people catching them all the time but no one will reveal the secret. The pro walleye tour came down to Laurel back in 98 I believe and they said that it was one of the best kept secrets. Wish someone one would help us. I have always heard theat they are good at the end of Feb up towards the old city dam. Thinking about trying it this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught plenty of walleye on Laurel. I've even netted a 13 lber. You should be fishing RIGHT NOW. The walleye should be very active feeding on the small rainbows that were recently stocked. Use a deep diving rainbow trout colored wally diver trolled at 1.2-1.5mph. You will have to experiment with the amount of line behind the boat and the speed until you find the right depth. Once the water temp hits 46 or so then think bottom bouncers with spinner rigs in the creeks and upper part of the lake. With the spinner rigs you will have the most success with nickle or copper colored blades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandguy1 View Post
    I've caught plenty of walleye on Laurel. I've even netted a 13 lber. You should be fishing RIGHT NOW. The walleye should be very active feeding on the small rainbows that were recently stocked. Use a deep diving rainbow trout colored wally diver trolled at 1.2-1.5mph. You will have to experiment with the amount of line behind the boat and the speed until you find the right depth. Once the water temp hits 46 or so then think bottom bouncers with spinner rigs in the creeks and upper part of the lake. With the spinner rigs you will have the most success with nickle or copper colored blades.
    Thank you for the most appreciated information. A few questions if I may..

If you were going this weekend what type areas would you fish? What type areas say around Grove? Where around Hi Top areas?

Are you talking trolling the points, bays or?????

I'm confused on what areas you mean by "upper part of the lake", would you please be just a bit more specific?

I don't mean to try to "steal" any hotspots or anything like that, but would love to take the wife and son and catch some really nice 'eyes soon! so some general type information to be more clear (on my end) sure would mean a great deal, if I'm not "out of line" .

To be honest I think Lake Cumberland "spoiled me", I could usually (almost always) find walleye looking spots (if that makes sense) and get enough to bite to make it interesting, Laurel is so different than this end of LC (London Dock area) , that I look and say.........."hmm where oh where would I be IF I were a hungry walleye " and so far I've never guessed correctly once

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Walleye

BTW when we were there this week (as the massive front showed up too early) the water temps were 42-43 degrees, (Grove to around Rogers Creek areas)

Post Thanks / Like

By upper lake I mean the 312 bridge area. I would try that for numbers....for big fish I would actually fish Holly Bay to the dam, or to Line Creek. Also try Spruce Creek during the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Walleye

Thank you very much Cumberlandguy1 !

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else?

Surely there are some more/other successful Laurel walleye folks here who can pass on some much needed information

Post Thanks / Like

Ace, you probably won't need any more help as the fish are in those spots right now.