Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ky/Barkley in early march?

I've got a buddy that is wanting to take a trip to Ky lake and Barkley early next month. What can I expect as far as fishing for bass, and what do I need to try to catch some bass? Any suggestions on where to launch and what type of cover to fish? I would guess main lake points, but what are your suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ky/Barkley in early march?

That time of year is one of my favorites here. I have the best luck finding balls of shad on primary points. I usually will throw a jerkbait (LC pointer in table rock shad, and megabass vision 110 in deadly black or pro blue) have been my best the past couple of years. On the LBL side of Ky lake, I will often throw a smaller shad rap at these schools and will get into small mouth. Dave's reports are usually dead on for that time of year. I guess alot of it depends on the weather between now and then too. Last year, we had the floods that changed everything. The year before we had unseasonal warm temps., which changed it a bit too.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish the lbl side coves, keep an eye on water temps around 55 degree's. Fish the north banks and hang on, look for shad and depending on the weather you never know what may happen. I'll always have a 1/2 oz spinnerbait on.

Post Thanks / Like

this time of year i normally have a good fishing trip by hitting main lake ledges that lead to spawning coves. i generally throw a citris shad deep diving crankbait. Also i love CR'ed lizards on main lake points. On KY lake, there are great places on the western side of the lake too.

Good luck, and hope to see you there.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught my personal best ( 8lb 14 oz ) last March on an x-rap on a secondary point, I think the high water last year was nice well other than loading and unloading the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Rattle traps and jerk baits to find them, maybe soft plastic lizards to catch a few more. Remember the Dave Stewart rule of thumb, "Follow the bait and find the fish". The baitfish should be starting to move from their deep winter haunts out on the ledges towards the backs of the creeks by following the points and channel lead in banks. Depending on water temps will depend on how far back into the creeks they will be. This time of the year, I would start on the main lake points and fish towards the back and they will tell you when the bite stops as to how far the migration has ended. Big fish will still be on the ledges on Ky and Barkley and a few big girls may even move back and spawn, just depends on the water temps. The spawners will be closer to the full moon period. Hope this helps.