Search Fishin.com

Thread: Walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye

Any area in particular good for walleye during the March April period?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Walleye

Nolin Lake is supposed to be great around that time. A couple of years ago, a pro walleye tournament was held on Cumberland and a good number of nice lil' toothies were caught. Green River Lake is supposed to have toothies also. I grew up fishin walleyes but don't do much down here. Wouldn't mind having a freezer full, though. Let me know if you need a partener.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are from South Dakota I am going to assume you have experience with fly and rod. I catch plenty of Sauger but, every once and awhile I'll catch one or two walleye on my ultra-light gear in certain gravely runs closer to a main river drainage where I have been lucky enough to land one, I will experience more break-offs. This usually occurs when fishing minnow imitators for Green Trout. I generally use a six-weight rod and what I would like to know is do you have any advice as to tippet/leader selection that will allow me to still catch smallies and have the toughness to land the occasional toothy?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Walleye

I am from S Dak. I Bought a fly rod when I was knee high. I used it a couple of times, but I was clueless as to how to use it. I remember that my father had one also. Never even seen him pull it out of it's case. He never bothered to reach me how to use it. I remember using it at a small lake with bass and yellow perch. Caught a couple of fish with a small worm. Had a good fish on and broke it off. After that, I never used it again. Never was taught how to use it. Now that I am older and have the patience for it, I would love to pick it up. It looks like a blast. I would love to land anything from bluegills to walleyes to stripers to smallies. I know a little about walleyes and sauger from where I grew up, but never fished for them. Just crappies, bluegills, perch, and bullheads.

I wish I could help, but my endless knowledge stops short at flyfishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Walleye

I don't have a clue about fly fishing but I use 17 LB Flouro leaders which I tie myself for spinners behind bottom bouncers etc. for walleye..... I'd think it's low diameter and invisibility plus strength would do "the trick"????

Do keep in mind it will sink though...

Post Thanks / Like

Always looking for fishing partners. Usually plan a trip once a year to an out of state lake for a week. Last year was Norfork Lake in Arkansas. Supposed to be a big striper lake with crappie, smallies, and walleye.
    Everyone backed out this year! Economy, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that kinda like asking a guy where his favorite mushroom spot is?
    Or is that just me?

Post Thanks / Like

Right on, that's what I get for assuming! Thanks anyway. There's really nothing to fly fishing, mostly just timing and knowing where to stop the rod and when to use your wrist and body, unless you're fishing for trout; improving my skills and building my knowledge in this area is my project for this spring. I suppose expanding my game in general is the real theme here. Anyone else have any suggestions for good local spots or advice for me on how to successfully land more walleye on fly tackle?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to be regionally bias here, but you have got to go to the Oahe Resivour on the Missouri River by Pierre or up to Devil's Lake N Dak. I have seen pics of double digit toothies! Especially through the ice. I really need to get home and do it. Hit the ice shack and the tip ups.