Search Fishin.com

Thread: mechanic ???

Post Thanks / Like

Question mechanic ???

any one know a reliable car mechanic??
    i have a 2001 ford focus that needs the clutch, pressure plate , throw out bearing and the pilot bearing replaced. the car is front wheel drive and has 102,000 miles on it. i dont want to give a arm and a leg to get it done but if i have to i want the person doing the job to be reliable. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mechanic ???

how close are u to a cottman transmission... i let them re work my tranny in my old 1996 silverado and they done a fine job and it was ok priced...... i wouldnt think over 600 bucks parts labor and all... i would buy the parts on your own and take it to them because if u dont mechanics double the price on parts from wherever they buy them.....

Post Thanks / Like

my wife called them i think they are in louisville abot 25-35 miles away from us and he told her $1450 for the parts and labor. little to much imo but we havent called but them and one other place so far and they both in the same range. but i have heard good things abouth cottman in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Ross Brothers in Jeffersonville,In have been in business forever.

812-282-5004

I've done business with them in the past and they seem to be reasonable in their prices and excellent in their work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSKING View Post
    my wife called them i think they are in louisville abot 25-35 miles away from us and he told her $1450 for the parts and labor. little to much imo but we havent called but them and one other place so far and they both in the same range. but i have heard good things abouth cottman in the past.
    if u would call or go to like advanced or auto zone and get the price of the parts i think like throwout bearings are a few bucks and the plates and stuff arent that expensive....just make sure u get a warranty cause i let one guy fix my tranny before cottman... i was hard on em i went thru 3 in a 2 year period thank goodness they was under warranty but the cottman guy said the other guy had jerry rigged my tranny... i would try to get it into passing gear and the truck would just rev.... the cottman guy actually lived in richmond he came to my place got my truck and drove it to work when he went in that day and diagnosed it on the interstate adn i was up and running again in no time flat...

Post Thanks / Like

102000 miles? you are lucky.I remember way back when, [right after the dinosauers],that 40000 miles was pushing your luck on a clutch assembly.Take it to a reputable place that has a warranty on the parts and labor, and be prepaired to eat it. Or buy the parts, aftwer finding someone who can do the work, and be prepared tp pay about 4 hours of labor.I know I was a clutch rider, but in my youth, replacing them was almost like changing a tire.Put up a few adds in your local grocery store and see if you get any bites. My friend has a son who does shade tree work on his days off, he's a master mechanic at a large dealer ship, i wont name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    102000 miles? you are lucky.I remember way back when, [right after the dinosauers],that 40000 miles was pushing your luck on a clutch assembly.Take it to a reputable place that has a warranty on the parts and labor, and be prepaired to eat it. Or buy the parts, aftwer finding someone who can do the work, and be prepared tp pay about 4 hours of labor.I know I was a clutch rider, but in my youth, replacing them was almost like changing a tire.Put up a few adds in your local grocery store and see if you get any bites. My friend has a son who does shade tree work on his days off, he's a master mechanic at a large dealer ship, i wont name.
    it has been slipping for around the last 15,000 miles and it has finally bit the dust. we havent decided yet but its either cottman or a retired ford mechanic my father in law worked with.