Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mercury DFI Oil, or Mercury Premium

I have a 225hp Mercury Optimax, and use the DFI Oil, do you think it would be ok to use the Mercury Premium instead? BPS has a heck of a price on the oil during their spring sale, and was curious if it would be ok. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Mercury DFI Oil, or Mercury Premium

I run a Yamha and i only use what its called for and if i was you i would put only what it calls for.Any oil will work but?is saving a few $ worth the problems you mite have in the future.Just my thought.Terry Adolph
    Last edited by raincheck; 02-21-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mercury DFI Oil, or Mercury Premium

Quote Originally Posted by wishniwasfishn View Post
    I have a 225hp Mercury Optimax, and use the DFI Oil, do you think it would be ok to use the Mercury Premium instead? BPS has a heck of a price on the oil during their spring sale, and was curious if it would be ok. Thanks
    just check your manual and see what it says about it and the type i have not a clue what ours takes i just go to pittsburg marine and they give me what i need.... i think its the dfi though...

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Reynolds Told me to never run anything but Mercury DFI oil in the 225 opti-pop that I use to have! I ran other stuff in it before he told me and maybe thats why it blew up! Twice!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the XS model it calls for Premium...otherwise you need to use the Opti Oil.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably going to open a whole can of worms here. I went to Valvoline's HQ here in Lex this past summer. I saw piles of test data on Valvoline brands, Mercury brands, and about every other brand you can name. Amsoil, Pennzoil, you name it. I was asked not to publicly discuss who makes Mercury oil, but now that I know, if I had a opti I wouldn't run Merc oil in it. Now, don't get me wrong, i've never been a Valvoline fan but, after seeing the tests, I'd go with Valvoline and then Amsoil 2nd. Valvoline also has a biodegradable synthetic on a limited basis. If you want to know more about what I'm talking about on here, call John Webb of Marineworks at 859-509-6660. He is tight with someone at valvoline and knows far more about it than me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    If you have the XS model it calls for Premium...otherwise you need to use the Opti Oil.

Okay how about Pennzoil SYNTHETIC with an Opti? NON-XS Model.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Mercury DFI Oil, or Mercury Premium

Not sure where i seen a test on different types of oil and yama lube was the only oil that had antiwear in it so i'll run it and only it.I allso have a snowmobile and run only what its called for too.I learned too run the type they call for because of all the snowmobiles blowing up because they tryed too save a buck and run cheaper oil.Cheaper don't mean better in my book.Just me but my sled is a 2000Yamaha and has been rode every year since then even though i live in Ky.Last time i rode it was in 06 and we went for a 600mi+ trip.It had about 3000miles then.Bet my freinds grand kids have a ball on it,thats why its in Mi.I sleep better at night knowing i have the right oil(lol)Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same motor, (06), and after being told I could use either by two mercury dealerships, I called Mercury and they said it would not effect the warranty or the performance of the engine. I have had trouble finding the opti oil at times and they said it would be ok but use up your oil tank of the opti and then use the premium and don't switch back.

Post Thanks / Like

So you have a 14 THOUSAND DOLLAR motor.........and you're wanting to run a cheaper oil in it...........I think not.

USE the DFI OIL..........if you notice it is less viscus than the Premium Plus stuff. DFI is needed for a reason, and I'd use it PERIOD. Now I do switch between Mercury Optimax branded and Quick Silver DFI Oil, but I'd NOT use Premium Plus.

Just my thoughts........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply's, great info as usual. Think I will stick to the DFI oil, funny thing is when I bought the boat, the guy was running a Walmart brand, the dealer told me to remove it, and put Mercury DFI oil in it.

Post Thanks / Like

With the Mercury Optimax you can use Mercury or Quicksilver PREMIUM PLUS but not Premium!!