Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Your opinion?

Ok fellas I've got a new thread and it's not regarding Ike, i honestly think their are some guys loosing sleep over this classic talk. I've been stocking up on tackle and getting everything all set for 2009. I was wanting some of your opinions on 1. Is it really worth the extra money for tungsten weight vs. lead, is it that much more sensitive. 2. I thought about trying the p-line fluro coated? Anyone used it, or should i stay with the p-line 100%? 3. What are some of the braids you guys like, i normally use stren super braid and have been very happy with it, may consider another if allot of guys like something else.....thanks for the input fellas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Your opinion?

Tungsten, in my opinion, is a lot better than lead. Although it is more expensive, it is smaller in size and is alot more sensitive. You will be able to feel your bait alot better with the tungsten weights. It also make the bait's profile smaller -- you don't want a big bulky weight in front of a worm for example.

I haven't had much luck with the P-line coated. I have only purchased it once and it must have been a bad batch. The line continually snapped at the knot, with a palomar tied, and at other places. I was dumbfounded...I checked my line for nicks and frays after every cast after that. I found none, but the line kept breaking. Like I said, it could have been a bad batch. Maybe some other guys can tell you if they like it or not, but as for me, I'll never buy it again. Try Yo-Zuri Hybrid. Much better product and cheaper too, I think.

In regards to the braid, it depends on what kind of application you're fishing. For a good all-around braid to use on a baitcaster, I use Stren Sonic Braid. Its some new stuff from Stren that lays on its side so it can bury in the spool on a hard hookset. For spinning reels, you can't go wrong with Berkley Fireline.

Hope this helps you find the products you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your opinion?

Tungesten is mosr sensitive and smaller so it is an advantage, but is is costly. I use Pline Floroclear on all but my flipping rod, in which I use CXXX. I have never had anyproblem with the Florclear, it is more managable than pure floro and nearly as invisable, it is also more sensitive than reg mono, I really like this line, Braid Pline braid, it is like all p line stuff it is good line. I also like those Ikey heads from tru tungesten, they have a great feel to them, but I mostly use Spot Removers. Also one more Ike thing , YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NEVER GIVE UP AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NEVER GIVE UP.

Post Thanks / Like

i like the pline 100% or seagar and for weights my deal with that is if i am fishing and i start to lose quite a few of the tungsten i just switch over to lead but i like the tungsten much better... a buddy of mine brought this to my attention with the way tungsten is smaller think of it as a wedge on the hookset... smaller profile less opening of the mouth meaning more hookups... it makes sense but we guys can justify having almost anything.... and as for braid i like the power pro line its about the best that i have ever used... i used to used spider wire and its like greasy feeling and i dont like it one bit adn for some reason the spiderwire has alot more memory.... and back to the floro i hate it on a spinning reel cause after about 10 or 15 casts with 8 lb its all balled up and three lines coming off and its just not worth my time.... but for baitcasters... shoot yeah i like it.....

Post Thanks / Like

all i use is p-line fluro clear and there is none better. other then on top water and i use p-line cxx mono. i got some of my rods filled with p-line halo but never have used it and if it dont work then i have some fluro clear to respool for back up. i like the strike king shaky heads but now i make my own that are just like the strike kings. i used come of the ike heads but the plastic wants to slide down. you have to melt it or use some glue to keep it from sliding down. for as much as they coast and as much as the strike kings coast i just started making my own same with jigs. i love the ike berkley jigs butt for $5.00 for one i make some just like them for no more then $1.50 $2.00. i think it is well worth making your own baits it saves in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Gone are the days of a 19-cent worm rig (worm, hook and sinker). I like tungsten much better than lead. I think, becasue it's harder than lead it makes a louder "clicking" sound when it hits the bottom. I also use Seagar on just about all my reels. I'm not a rich man, but when it comes to my only obsession in life, fishing, I spend what I can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

for the most part, i wouldnt buy tungsten unless youve got plenty of money. but if you fish real clear deep water the smaller profile and sensitivity might be worth it.

the fluro coated line has one advantage over flurocarbon, it floats. so its the only line i throw for topwater and also a good leader for c-rigs. i dont think it has the sensitivity of fluro tho so not much help with your plastics and jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer # 1 because I've never tried tungsten, maybe one day if I win the Powerball. For your #2 question, I tried Fluoroclear (coated) and didn't like it at all. Casted good but had several breakoffs. I like the Pline 100%, it was the first Fluoro I ever tried, its strong, but a little wirey compared to some better handling fluoros though.

Post Thanks / Like

tungsten is high $, but its worth it. you'll be able to tell this on your first cast, cause when the sinker hits bottom you'll probably set the hook.
    i have'nt tried 100%, but i use cxx. tried fluoro clear and didnt like it. had problems with it breaking at the knot on hook sets. i use XPS fluoro from BPS and have had good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    tungsten is high $, but its worth it. you'll be able to tell this on your first cast, cause when the sinker hits bottom you'll probably set the hook.
    i have'nt tried 100%, but i use cxx. tried fluoro clear and didnt like it. had problems with it breaking at the knot on hook sets. i use XPS fluoro from BPS and have had good luck with it.
    If you are breaking the fluro at the knot on the hookset it is because of the knot and not because of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uk_bassman View Post
    If you are breaking the fluro at the knot on the hookset it is because of the knot and not because of the line.
    Don't know if I agree with that one. If you tie the same knot on one line, making sure to wet it and all and don't have problems. Then try the same knot on another line and have problems I'd say that line has weaker knot strength.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uk_bassman View Post
    thats what i thought too..so i tried several different knots,but they all had the same outcome(!!!SNAP!!!) i use 17lb xps and 15lb cxx and have yet to break it on the hook set. even on hang-ups i have to use the trolling motor to break it.