Search Fishin.com

Thread: Big Bone?

Post Thanks / Like

Big Bone?

Thinking of taking a trip up north soon, see the folks, pet the dog, maybe catch a few trout in the process. Any body have any suggestions about fly selection? What has or hasn't been producing, maybe a clue as to what has worked in the past?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Bone?

Are you talking about big bone creek, the trout in there are extremely small and the state does stock them at certain times of the year. You will have to check the State of Kentucky fish and game website and they will tell you when they stock, I like to think it was in Oct.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are trying to turn it into a put grow and take stream but, I'm not sure how successful they have been or even could be. I haven't fished the creek since I was little enough to count those over-size craws that inhabit the thing as 'a fish'. Back then it had a few deep holes, mostly man made and closer to the river and an easy escape and quick pollution related death. No sir, rainbows will never be as tough as bass or cats, nope, never, and Big Bone is full of both last time I fished it 10 years ago. I read the article from 03' I believe, about the NKFF guy catching 19 in one spot, hare's ear nymph working well, yada, yada but, I was hoping that someone still had some interest in what they where doing there and would be willing to let go of one secret or maybe two. Is the secret not to fish there? I'm betting not with the lack of responses from this board. If you all don't know anything about a body of water, I typically take that to mean no one really fishes it and there are more for me to catch. Heh, heh, heh.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Colonel, I have not fished it but I do know it is a put grow and take from October to April (I believe it is April). Here is a link that might be of some help if you ask around on there.

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forum...ad.php?t=72937

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Tim, you are always helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

John48 and I haved fished the actual creek, the section where you put your boat in. We have taken a left out of the ramp, than a left at the fork and always seemed to catch LM SM and whites in the area of the camp ground on the same side as the camp ground, we fished it several times, and caught there but the last few times skunked. So we started fishing the river in this area. The creek looks good tons I mean tons of shad, maybe the fish are getting there fill, you know the fish must be there somewhere. I fished for trout one time that was in front of the camp grounds at big bone park. When they release trout there are ton of people fishing and keeping the trout, I never understood it because the trout where only 8 or 9 inches long I guess they like to eat heads and bones.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah not worth eatin' but still fun to pursue, at least for me. I don't really care what I catch, as long as something eats my fly. Even a 12" trout or smallie is a whale on a six weight rod.