Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Crankin'

Post Thanks / Like

Deep Crankin'

I would like to try doing some deep crankin' this year. What models and colors of crank baits would you guys suggest?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Deep Crankin'

sexy shad,tennessee shad are ok but my arms can't throw dd22s very long,Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deep Crankin'

All depends on what lake, water temp, season, water clarity, etc. Use shad colors/natural colors in clear water. Use firetiger, chartreuse and blue, chartreuse and black, in muddy water. It all depends at that moment when you are crankin'.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree, theres alot of variables. basically in stained water ill throw series 5 and 6 strike kings either a sexy shad or the chartreuse and white. and in cleaner water i like rapala dt 16 because it has a tighter wobble and you can fish it a little faster; the realistic patterns dont hurt either. id get a good 5:1 or even 4:7 gear ratio reel so you dont wear yourself out. also the luer jenson hotlips crank probably is one of the deepest diving cranks out there if you need a little more depth. 12lb fluro is a good all around line for deep divers.

Post Thanks / Like

Here on Ky lake, I always have a DT-16 in parrot either tied on or close by.

I do like the newer strike kings in sexy shad. But it hasn't worked near as well as the DT 16's.

A lower ratio reel will help tremendously. I think 10# line helps get those divers down. I also keep my rod tip in the water or pointed right at it, and it helps with fatigue.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Big fan of the DD22. It has been a fish catcher from Cumberland to Cave Run and in between. No shortage of species on this bait either, you just know its going to be a good fish either way...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    Here on Ky lake, I always have a DT-16 in parrot either tied on or close by.

I do like the newer strike kings in sexy shad. But it hasn't worked near as well as the DT 16's.

A lower ratio reel will help tremendously. I think 10# line helps get those divers down. I also keep my rod tip in the water or pointed right at it, and it helps with fatigue.
    Agree, Love the DT's 6, 10 and 16 in Parrot. I will follow up with a warning:

WARNING: DO NOT "SMACK" THE LURE ON THE WATER TO CLEAN GRASS OR DEBRIS OFF THE HOOKS - YOU WILL BREAK THE LIP OFF!!!! you may get away with it once maybe even twice but I guarantee it will break I have a box of 'em to prove it.

Although I just picked up some Bandit 700 series, I have always been a big fan of how they run true right outta the package, and when I compared to the Fat Free Shad I had noticed they are almost identical except right where the lip meets the body - it is noticeably smaller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    Agree, Love the DT's 6, 10 and 16 in Parrot. I will follow up with a warning:

WARNING: DO NOT "SMACK" THE LURE ON THE WATER TO CLEAN GRASS OR DEBRIS OFF THE HOOKS - YOU WILL BREAK THE LIP OFF!!!! you may get away with it once maybe even twice but I guarantee it will break I have a box of 'em to prove it.

Although I just picked up some Bandit 700 series, I have always been a big fan of how they run true right outta the package, and when I compared to the Fat Free Shad I had noticed they are almost identical except right where the lip meets the body - it is noticeably smaller
    Hey OFFDTOP, take those back to BPS, and they will replace them for you, Rapala knows this is a problem, and BPS will trade them out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wishniwasfishn View Post
    Hey OFFDTOP, take those back to BPS, and they will replace them for you, Rapala knows this is a problem, and BPS will trade them out for you.
    REALLY?!!! AWESOME!!!! Only problem the closest one to me is 2 hours away!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    REALLY?!!! AWESOME!!!! Only problem the closest one to me is 2 hours away!
    Let me know before you go - I went through about a 1/2 dozen before I learned.

Post Thanks / Like

I like shad colored poes as well as chartreuse for off color again poes I tried shaving the bills and it seems to get a little deeper. I also use an old mann super deep diver painted flat black amazing what hits it cats, stripers etc. I use 10 lb yozuri fluorcarbon on a 7 1/2 ft home made rainshadow med with a fast tip on an old Quantum 381 3.8 to 1 I have been using the new rubber grips on the power handle seems to allow for a longer day crankin without as much fatigue.

Post Thanks / Like

For deep water I use a 5/8oz Mepps Spin Flex. The lure looks stupid and I never would have paid retail for one, but they were on sale for .50 cents. Used with a 4 inch twister tail in white or chartruese they put fish on the table, bass, walleye and lake trout.

The other deep water lure for me is any of the Silver Buddys in my box.