Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gator Gar Stocking Opinions needed

Please take a second to complete the online survey...it's like 3 questions.

http://fw.ky.gov/App/Survey5_Gar.aspx

Subject: Ky. Fish and Wildlife News: Public opinion sought on alligator gar restoration
    To:
    Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 3:57 PM

Kentucky Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Resources News Release

Survey to gauge public opinion on restoration of alligator gar in western Kentucky

February 25, 2009 Contact: Ryan Oster

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 1-800-858-1549, ext. 4461

Frankfort, Ky. – The fisheries division of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources invites the public to take a confidential, online survey to provide their opinions on the restoration of alligator gar in western Kentucky.

“They were once native to Kentucky , but are no longer here,” said Ryan Oster, federal aid coordinator for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. “The focus is solely directed at stocking the alligator gar in its original habitat in the sloughs of the Mississippi River and lower Ohio.”

In southern states, alligator gar may grow to nearly 10 feet and weigh 300 pounds. They are highly sought by anglers wanting to catch one of the biggest freshwater fishes in the United States.

This species of gar hasn’t been documented in Kentucky for nearly 50 years. Federal funds will pay for half of the restoration costs.

The survey is located on Kentucky Fish and Wildlife’s homepage at fw.ky.gov. On the right side of the page, click on the photo of an alligator gar with the statement “We Need Your Help! Take the Alligator Gar Survey.” It takes less than five minutes to answer the questions.

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife plans to stock sloughs and oxbows on department-owned property in western Kentucky. Many of these waters no longer offer good fishing for bass, crappie and catfish because they have been taken over by Asian carp.

“The alligator gar would also be a predator on those Asian carp,” said Gerry Buynak, assistant director of fisheries for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.

The survey will be online for approximately two weeks.

-30-
    The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources manages, regulates, enforces and promotes responsible use of all fish and wildlife species, their habitats, public wildlife areas and waterways for the benefit of those resources and for public enjoyment. Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, an agency of the Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, has an economic impact to the state of $4.5 billion annually. For more information on Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, visit our web site at fw.ky.gov.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Gator Gar Stocking Opinions needed

Done

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gator Gar Stocking Opinions needed

Done and done! Bring'em on.

Post Thanks / Like

Could make my river alittle more interesting...Many years ago fishing the Mcalpine pool I boated a gar that was dang near as long as my 14ft boat..I stopped telling that story, alot of people I felt thought I was telling a lie...I wasn't

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Gator Gar Stocking Opinions needed

Did It

Post Thanks / Like

That was quick and easy. Not like my last experience with alligator gar. My friend Sheboni a.k.a. Boni Poni, a.k.a. Blueberry, gets bored extremely easily. He loaded his 4'x2'x1.5' fish tank with vicous predatory fish and some that where unfortunate enough to have cool names. There was an alligator gar, some little shark that ate stuff off the tank, a few siclids, and a puffer fish. He fed the fish those little gold minnow lookin things you can get real cheap for a few weeks until theywhere used to the tank then he quit feeding them. The puffer fish killed everything else via ferocious attacks to the gills, except the Gar and one of the siclids who succombed to the jaws of our friend Mr. Alligator Gar. The fight between the Gar and the Puffer went on and off for a week or so beore the Puffer managed to pluck out one of the Gars eyes, I think it was the left one if memory serves me. Scott left them together long enough to be sure the Gar could make it in the same tank with Mr. Tuff Guy, then took him out front and slammed him on the sidewalk till he quit squirmin.

Post Thanks / Like

That is horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the sake of clarity, it was the Puffer who got curb-stomped, the former native species had to much heart to euthanize. He is still alive and swimming, and still the undisputed KING OF THE TANK! Down goes Puffer! Down goes Puffer!

Post Thanks / Like

done

Post Thanks / Like

done

Post Thanks / Like

done it

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Gator Gar Stocking Opinions needed

Quote Originally Posted by LoweBow View Post
    “The alligator gar would also be a predator on those Asian carp,” said Gerry Buynak, assistant director of fisheries for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.
    That's all I needed to know. Bring 'em on!