Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geist Reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geist Reservoir

Geist and Morse are owned by the water company which leases the ramp to the marina. They are semi-private lake and are managed by IDNR, the town police patrols them along with the DNR, the resident gets to launch their boat for free. They set the price so high on the weekend to keep the number of non-resident boaters down. They're the only lakes within the Indy metro area large enough for pleasure boating. Therefore, on the weekend it's nutkingfut anyway despite the outrageous ramp fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Geist and Morse are owned by the water company which leases the ramp to the marina. They are semi-private lake and are managed by IDNR, the town police patrols them along with the DNR, the resident gets to launch their boat for free. They set the price so high on the weekend to keep the number of non-resident boaters down. They're the only lakes within the Indy metro area large enough for pleasure boating. Therefore, on the weekend it's nutkingfut anyway despite the outrageous ramp fee.
    The $27 dollar weekend fee doesn't take effect until Memorial weekend, or the weekend before, through Labor day. Then after Labor day it goes back down to $11 all the time. I heard the DNR tried to buy ramp land 25 or 30 years ago but couldn't get the ok to buy it because it was so expensive. Missed opportunity there... These reservoirs are supposed to be for public use, not to be bought up by people. My gripe is our DNR puts a boat on that water to enforce laws, our fishing lisence money pays for that but we can't use it unless we pay an outrageous fee. I don't believe our DNR should patrol those waters, let the homeowners pay for that, not me.... I'm done.....
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Make no mistake, I DO NOT OWN PROPERTY ON EITHER OF THOSE LAKES. I just understand the situation. Let look at it from those property owners perspective. How would you feel after you've spend a million bucks or more for one of those properties. The exact same thing wouldn't worth that much if it wasn't on those lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Make no mistake, I DO NOT OWN PROPERTY ON EITHER OF THOSE LAKES. I just understand the situation. Let look at it from those property owners perspective. How would you feel after you've spend a million bucks or more for one of those properties. The exact same thing wouldn't worth that much if it wasn't on those lakes.
    What you say is fine but that lake is my water source. It is used to supply water to Indy areas. That's what I mean when I say that should be a public watershed. Those people need to go build their own lake and use it, that lake is our water, period.

Post Thanks / Like

Geist reservoir doesn't belong to the public. It's own by the water company, you do pay for your water don't you? If it's public water then you wouldn't be paying. It's not your water. The founder of the water company bought 5000 acres of land to built it.

Post Thanks / Like

Geist reservoir doesn't belong to the public. It's own by the water company, you do pay for your water don't you? If it's public water then you wouldn't be paying. It's not your water. The founder of the water company bought 5000 acres of land to built it.
    Wow, you really know a lot about this lake. Every idiot around knows it is owned by the water company. Obviously you didn't understand my statement. If it doesn't bother you that they use your fishing liscence moneys to put a DNR boat on that lake that's ok, but it is not ok with me. In every other case there is a DNR ramp to get on those lakes. I can remember about 25 years ago I used to line up on Fall Creek road and wait for them to open and put the boat in, those were better times.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone fishing the WRBM Open on Geist in two weeks?

Post Thanks / Like

I will be there fishing it. First tournament of the year hope the weather holds up some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basspro78 View Post
    I will be there fishing it. First tournament of the year hope the weather holds up some.
    I wonder what was going on there this last Saturday, the parking lot was full of trucks and bass boat trailers. Must have been some sort of tourny going on. i wonder what the weights were.

Post Thanks / Like

No tournament going on just a bunch of people enjoying the good weather and the tuff wind. I was out there from how I did and how I herd from everyone not to good, but felt good to be out fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just the facts::
    I have done a little research on the owners of Geist and the ramp

Geist is owned by the Consolidated City of Indianapolis, the Ramp is owned by a private corperation named Marina Unlimited Parternship. These facts were obtained by searching the property reports on the Hamilton County web site. Another fact is the Town of Fishers annexed the ground below the water in the Hamilton County section.
    The owner of MUP is/was a major stock holder of the old Indianapolis Water Company, that ran the water company for the City of Indianapolis.

As for the cost of using the ramp, it is the same as last year, 12 bucks on the weekday and 28 on the weekends. I was out there last Friday and Saturday, I paid $12.00 each day. Still cheaper than driving to Monroe. By the way, I am looking at my receip from last weekend, thats why I sure of the fees for this year.

As for private or public water, Fall Creek flows into Geist, that makes the water public and gives the DNR right to patrol and enforce the rules. Even if the land around the lake is privately owned.

Not to disagree with any of the before post, these are the facts that I can back up.
    By the way, the bite was slow, but I did catch a few. There was no tournament on Saturday, Just a bunch of us treating CABIN FEVER.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkehl View Post
    Just the facts::
    I have done a little research on the owners of Geist and the ramp

Geist is owned by the Consolidated City of Indianapolis, the Ramp is owned by a private corperation named Marina Unlimited Parternship. These facts were obtained by searching the property reports on the Hamilton County web site. Another fact is the Town of Fishers annexed the ground below the water in the Hamilton County section.
    The owner of MUP is/was a major stock holder of the old Indianapolis Water Company, that ran the water company for the City of Indianapolis.

As for the cost of using the ramp, it is the same as last year, 12 bucks on the weekday and 28 on the weekends. I was out there last Friday and Saturday, I paid $12.00 each day. Still cheaper than driving to Monroe. By the way, I am looking at my receip from last weekend, thats why I sure of the fees for this year.

As for private or public water, Fall Creek flows into Geist, that makes the water public and gives the DNR right to patrol and enforce the rules. Even if the land around the lake is privately owned.

Not to disagree with any of the before post, these are the facts that I can back up.
    By the way, the bite was slow, but I did catch a few. There was no tournament on Saturday, Just a bunch of us treating CABIN FEVER.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. I like going over there during the week but never on a weekend. I like fishing the Tuesday nighter and have for about 15 years. Great bass lake. I have been catching them on red rattletrap the last few days......