Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Taylorsville Headwaters??

Weather is good and I am heading out. I haved fished t-ville many times but this time I would like to fish the head waters. I was planning on putting in at Van Buren and fishing all the way up past the 248 bridge. My problem is my motor is down and in the the shop, so I was wonding if my trolling motor (34 lbs) would be enough for my 14 ft jon. I have been told the current can be fast up there but I have never been. Has anyone seen how fast it is moving?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taylorsville Headwaters??

I have fished that area many times and your trolling motor should be fine. I suggest that you follow the bank on the left as you go towards the bridge from Van Buren. There is a big mud flat that starts near the ramp and continues toward the bridge. If you follow the bank on the left then you are in the channel and won't have any problems. The lake is near summer pool and that means that flat will be under water so you may not be able to see it. I have seen MANY boats try to cut across what looks like open water and end up grounded. Stay to the left. I have taken a small jon boat up in there many times when the water was at its current level and had no problems.I don't expect much action with the fish in there yet however, you may get into some whites and the catfish may be ok on the flat or in front of it with cut bait. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with that part of the lake either but my friend with the pimped out canoe wants to troll up that way sometime this spring, maybe even this weekend. I'll be happy to catch anything that swims but I do have a particular taste for crappie. We usually put in at Settlers and while I have caught one or two small, seemingly random black crappie off that chunk near the ramp, I haven't had any real success. Any advice as to where I could find them around that (Van Buren) end of the lake, or hell any part of it? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Colonel, I have not fished up there for crappie, but there is a creek acorssd from the Van Buren Ramp with a lot of timber that looks like it would hold crappie.