Search Fishin.com

Thread: Boltz Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Boltz Lake

Hey guys I am planning on going to Boltz either this weekend or next, but never been there. Anybody have any tips or where and what to catch them on this time of year?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boltz Lake

Im going there on saturday possibly, I have it narrowed down to Kincaid, or Boltz. I fished there once 2 seasons ago and only caught 2 small frys.
    If i rememeber right from the dock stay to the left at the fork.
    Follow the cove all the way back. On the right side of the cove is a nice drop off I would fish those drop offs. I plan on using jigs, slow rolled spinner, and a craw. What color and make of boat do you have will lookout for you if I go there sat.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a red and white TR-21 powered by a merc hopefully I will see you out there. Thanks for the advice and good luck to ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Boltz Lake

try a black jig in shallow underwater feeder creeks in about 3-6 feet there are a few of those along the left side of the lake when you looking from the ramp.

also try a medium crankbait in 6-8 of water off the bank

some decent fish in this lake I have personally seen a 6 pounder come out (but I didnt catch it) so there "in there" and this time of year -- its on.

Let us all know how you did.

the
    BASSOHOLIC

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys didn't get to get out on the water this weekend boat was in the shop. But am going to try to get out there this up coming weekend. If anyone did get a chance to hit this lake how did you do?

Post Thanks / Like

if u make it up there stright out from the boat ramp go to the first point and from there go about 60 feet to left there u will find a tree in a bout 45 feet big tree fish this tree with a drop shot rig 2 and 1/2 feet up on the line with 10'' bubble gum trick worm or something close to that color u will be very pleased at this spot and if u tourment fish this is the go 2 spot for me have won 3 there just from that spot with biggest bag over 18 puonds hope this helps u and hope to c u up there u know were ill b !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a 6.5lber there not last summer but the summer before on a 10" powerworm on a brushpile. My best 5 that day, went around 12.5lbs.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Boltz this morning 7-31-10 from 7am-2pm.

7 total between two of us: 5 cats, 1 large mouth, 1 bluegill on a fly rod.
    2 cats were 15 inchs everything else was tiny. Crawlers, liver, and a few very small catalpa worms for bait. Plus, fly rod and black roster tail.

Fished the fingers in 12-15 foot of water and temps ranged from 83-86 degrees. Expected it to be cooler with depths in the main channel at 50+ feet, but its been hot for a few weeks.

Question for the experts out there:
    Saw a single jug making its way all over the lake. Obviously had a fish on. Am I mistaken or isn't it illegal to jug in a KY owned lake less than 500 acres? And are you allowed to leave or jugs out and unattended?

Thanks,

Baker
    Last edited by Shake N Bake; 07-31-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added something

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct on the jugging on less than 500 acres. Not sure about leaving them unattended

Post Thanks / Like

I jug fish every fall at Taylorsville and you are correct that jug fishing is prohibited at Boltz. Although the regs say you are only required to check them once every 24 hours, I herd my jugs like a shepherd tending his flock. They must be labeled with name and address.

When I see a jug being fished illegally I release the fish and dispose of the jug. Those who don't follow the rules, either through ignorance or defiance, relect poorly on those of us who do. I've never found an improper jug with a name on it so I don't worry too much about arguing with any knucklehead who takes exception.