Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: check this out

Post Thanks / Like

check this out

article from bassfan.com.
    Lead ban counfounds industry 3/16/2009
    A recent action by the Obama administration has left anglers and the fishing industry scratching their heads. Last week, the National Park Service (NPS) suddenly announced it would ban lead fishing tackle in national parks by 2010.
    The American Sportfishing Association (ASA) weighed on in the controversy with a widely distributed statement. “The sportfishing industry is surprised and dismayed by the March 10 announcement made by the National Park Service,” said ASA VP Gordon Robertson. “Their intention to eliminate the use of lead in fishing tackle in national parks was made without prior consultation of the sportfishing industry or the millions of recreational anglers who fish within the national park system.”
    Robertson added: “In his Jan. 21, 2009 Executive Memo to federal agency and department heads, President Obama made it very clear that he expects the federal government to be transparent, participatory and collaborative and that ‘executive departments and agencies should offer Americans increased opportunities to participate in policymaking and to provide their government with the benefits of their collective expertise and information.’ We expect the National Park Service to follow the President’s order.”
    In the normal course of events, the sportfishing and shooting-sports industries (lead component ammunition is also included in the ban) would have been notified by the NPS about this change in policy and would have been invited to discuss this decision with NPS staff, the ASA noted.
    Robertson also said: “The NPS policy announcement, issued by a press release, does not explain how this decision was reached, why it may be necessary or how this rule will be implemented. To our knowledge, there has been no proposed rule, nor any opportunity for public comment. We request that the NPS withdraw this proposal and discuss the rationale for it with the appropriate stakeholders before taking further action.”
    Comment on this

I got this from another website, and i dont know the details but i thought it was something all fishermen should be aware of.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: check this out

I guess the Stimulus Plan is supposed to help all anglers buy tungsten from now on! I guess I will have to stay away from banks with rocks......

What a joke! 2 years to ban lead? I love tungsten, but if I'm fishing a bank where I know I've hung up in the past, don't put it by me to put a lead weight on my line! What about everyone that fishes a split-shot rig, or drop shot, or JIG FOR THAT MATTER! Guess we'll have to buy tungsten blocks by the bulk so we can pour jigs. Oh wait, our molds are now obsolete because our 1/2oz football jigs will now weigh 1 1/2 ounces.

Anybody want to sign a petition? I'm in...........

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's bigger than just banning lead with this new administration. The Global Warming Tree Huggers will lobby their way into (already have) the pockets of this President and administration. Guys and Gals when it's time to vote again get involved and understand what the candidates and parties stand for. Vote responsibly thats how you make a difference!

Post Thanks / Like

That is certainly the lamest thing I ever heard. I'm having trouble believing this is true but you better believe I am going to do some research. Stupid hippies have to ruin everything! Global warming is a scientific fact, like the spawn, and evolution. If this is true I will be pretty angry though.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been this way in some national parks for a long time, Yellowstone comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

The bottom line is that lead is not good (and not just in California.) Why would we, as outdoor enthusiasts, want to gripe about continuing to use a product that will eventually have a negative effect on the areas we love so much? It's 2009 people, saving the planet is not just for hippies anymore. Coming from supposed outdoorsmen, I find it pretty ironic that there would be a negative connotation to the term tree-hugger. Despite all of these deep-seeded beliefs about what we think is fact, right, or wrong isn't it time to take a look at the small things we as a community can do to help our sport and not worry about the billion dollar tackle industry and their lobbyists the ASA. If the sign says, No Lead why in the heck would anyone argue with that? When it says No Fishing, or simply No Fish, then you'll really be upset.

"but if I'm fishing a bank where I know I've hung up in the past, don't put it by me to put a lead weight on my line!" Sad. Kind of like saying don't put it by me to paint that school with lead-based paint eventhough I ain't supposed too. Who are you showing up by this behaviour? Heck, I use lead just like the next guy and will continue to carefully do so in the areas that allow it. I just can't understand griping about not using it in places that have banned it. Banning it is a good thing, but as with most things it is short-sighted and developers need to come up with an equally affordable and functional alternative.

I hate anything political and I hate the government. This issue is about the environment; and hippie, treehugger, or water sprite, I do care about the environment.

Post Thanks / Like

and thats the problem, environmentalist are ruining our great country. environmentalist run up the cost of everything. from cars that must get this many miles and only use this much pollution. to the cap and trade of carbon emissions. to the extreme cost of energy now because it all has to be "green". this is all a tax on the american people even though they say its a tax against the companies as they pass it on to consumers. wake up folks before environmentalist make the cost of fishing and every other part of our lives a lost cause because there is no cash at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about the lead ban ladies and gentleman. By the time Barrack HUSSIEN Obama gets done, none of us will be able to afford to fish, let alone buy tungsten exclusively.

Post Thanks / Like

!

It is in fact 2009. Whats going on in 2009 you may be wondering? Highest unemployment in 20+ years, lowest wages, slowing growth, the bottom falling out of industry after industry. Seems all those tax cuts and lack of oversight for the King's Court took a toll on our financial system. By the way Capitalism as we know it in America is now over. We have publicly owned corporations. Disgusting. Look pal, I worked long and hard on that man's campaign (first one I have been involved in that we actually won!), all those 110, 115 degree heat index days, that was me out there pounding pavement, knocking on doors, talking with people dispelling all the right-wing lies spread by tools like Rush. You know why? Because I believe in most of the policy changes he pushed during the campaign and is now delivering on. The workers who hold this country on their shoulders deserve to see more compensation for their toils, instead of working longer, harder, dirtier jobs so corporate suit wears can hang at the club and rack up more dollars on tax-refundable expense accounts! But guess what? There where specific promises made not only to me personally by connected state party politicos as well as the kids he brought down here from Chicago and parts east to run the thing in Louisville that those nasty things they where saying where in fact "lies." Starting to question...hopefully this is something an appointee did without permission. And you need to learn how to read to, my friend, old dude wasn't trying to "show anyone up" with his "behavior" (what a joke). Have you ever fished with tungsten? ITS WAY DENSER THAN LEAD!!! The man is trying to avoid losing his already $8-$10 dollar baits, which by the way will go up to $10-$15 a piece if this new proclamation actually can stand up to public scrutiny. And I wouldn't worry about the fishing lobby if I where you, these are the people that advocate your position, they want tungsten, it means more money in their pockets, cause we all know we won't quit fishin! Better believe by the end of the day I will have talked to some folks for the inside dirt on this one. Stay tuned folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ON3 3Y3D WILLI3 View Post
    The bottom line is that lead is not good (and not just in California.) Why would we, as outdoor enthusiasts, want to gripe about continuing to use a product that will eventually have a negative effect on the areas we love so much? It's 2009 people, saving the planet is not just for hippies anymore. Coming from supposed outdoorsmen, I find it pretty ironic that there would be a negative connotation to the term tree-hugger. Despite all of these deep-seeded beliefs about what we think is fact, right, or wrong isn't it time to take a look at the small things we as a community can do to help our sport and not worry about the billion dollar tackle industry and their lobbyists the ASA. If the sign says, No Lead why in the heck would anyone argue with that? When it says No Fishing, or simply No Fish, then you'll really be upset.

"but if I'm fishing a bank where I know I've hung up in the past, don't put it by me to put a lead weight on my line!" Sad. Kind of like saying don't put it by me to paint that school with lead-based paint eventhough I ain't supposed too. Who are you showing up by this behaviour? Heck, I use lead just like the next guy and will continue to carefully do so in the areas that allow it. I just can't understand griping about not using it in places that have banned it. Banning it is a good thing, but as with most things it is short-sighted and developers need to come up with an equally affordable and functional alternative.

I hate anything political and I hate the government. This issue is about the environment; and hippie, treehugger, or water sprite, I do care about the environment.

Keep your grubby hands out of my tackle box!!!! You throw your bait, and Ill throw mine!!! Education is one thing but coercion is another!!!

Keep on chuckin' (while you can)

Post Thanks / Like

Keep an eye on this and other issues. I heard the other day where there is a bill going up for vote in Illinois. They don't expect it to pass but the wheels are turning and change could be upon us. The bill states that gun owners would have to purchase a $1M insurance policy to own a gun. Now, here's the catch... Researchers could not find an insurance company willing to offer this type of insurance. See more at

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...0&SessionID=76

As far as the "fishing with lead issue", I'm not sure what to make of it. I feel our current administration could be bad for hunters and fishermen down the road. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ON3 3Y3D WILLI3 View Post

Keep your grubby hands out of my tackle box!!!! You throw your bait, and Ill throw mine!!! Education is one thing but coercion is another!!!

Keep on chuckin' (while you can)