Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question new vs old cover

how long does it take for any species of fish to start using the new trees that fell during the latest ice storm? i was told that if the cover doesnt have any type of moss/algae on it to pass on it and fish the older cover. is this a fact or an opinion? i like to fish anything new or old.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: new vs old cover

I think what you've been told is correct, in my opinion. If it doesn't have some kind of growth (algae, muck, etc.) on it, I think fish think its a foreign object an move on. I would try to find "established" cover, meaning something that has been there awhile that the fish are familiar with.

On the other hand......think of when the water levels rise in a body of water. Fish move to all the freshly flooded willows, cypress trees, etc. when the water is way up.

Now I'm dumbfounded. I guess, if I had the time and wasn't fishing a tournament, I would fish it all!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new vs old cover

I always hit all the new fallen or flooded stuff, as well as all the old stuff. I have caught some of my best spring fish on freshly down trees. The ones in between that are starting to decay and leaves are turning brown - I will pass up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shimano4Life View Post
    I think what you've been told is correct, in my opinion. If it doesn't have some kind of growth (algae, muck, etc.) on it, I think fish think its a foreign object an move on. I would try to find "established" cover, meaning something that has been there awhile that the fish are familiar with.

On the other hand......think of when the water levels rise in a body of water. Fish move to all the freshly flooded willows, cypress trees, etc. when the water is way up.

Now I'm dumbfounded. I guess, if I had the time and wasn't fishing a tournament, I would fish it all!
    i always thought they were seeking the cooler water in summer and the warmer water in the spring, not the new available cover. and also the maybe a easy snack/meal.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with Col Forbin.I have allways been told that the new fallen trees will hold more fish because they still have all the limbs.Whereas the old ones deteriate after a while and lose some of the cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense now.........