Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

09' Spring Gobble

Well the days are moving fast as we approach spring turkey season. Since this is my first spring hunt, but my 3rd year turkey hunting I thought I would ask to see if anyone has some good scouting techniques they might want to share. I do have locator calls but I am interested to see if anyone has any sucess with these items. Also are there any public hunting grounds that are more active for spring turkeys, just in case my first few picks don't produce.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 09' Spring Gobble

Taylorsville during the week might be OK. Best scouting would be the night before and hear where they fly up for the night or hear them respond to an owl call or coyote howl after dark. I think it is easiest to call them where they already want to go, so find where the hens spend the first hour or so in the morning. The run-and-gun may work on those TV shows, but you would be money ahead of staying off your feet and on your "seat".

Post Thanks / Like

Fishingcreek is right about sitting down in the right area and stay put. This is especially true when hunting public land where the birds are pressured quite often. In addition to going in the eveing and locating birds flying to the roof. You may want to go out at morning daylight and listen for birds gobbling on the roost.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: 09' Spring Gobble

Thanks guys for the great input. Now for those locator calls. Do you prefer to use them in the morning or at night? At taylorsville the roads are always so close that the noise can make it hard to hear anything out there even when you are miles back in. My friend and I spent quite some time on the backside of the dam hunting in the fall. Has anyone had any luck on Briar Ridge? Maybe by the new shooting range? How do you guys feel about the idea of hunting close to the lake... I have seen lots of birds right down on the waters edge while taking my boat out. Any futher thoughts would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a big fan of locator calls in the morning on public land. The sooner they gobble, the sooner more guys try to get on the same bird. An owl or a coyote howl about an hour AFTER dark seems to work pretty good, esp the first couple of days. They wise up pretty quick as every fella(or kid) that heads out after work or school tends to blow an owl hooter every five minutes from 3pm till they leave. As for the dam, it is pretty much one way in-one way out and things will crowd up pretty quick(But there ARE birds there). Briar Ridge is too easy of a walk to discourage anybody. Look for those out- of- the way areas where you have to work to get to and get there early.

Post Thanks / Like

SAw one on the way to work this am in full strut around abouty 30 hens and jakes, have been hearing a lot of gobbling from the old tom across the creek from me, and have seen several gobblers strutting already and this one this morning was chasing the hen, question? Does our season start too late? I know last year in this area there was hardley any gobbling going on and most had already locked up with hens so it was tough last year.