Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

To baitcast or not to baitcast

I'm exclusively a spinning man. I have never owned a baitcaster so I'm oblivious to the advantages. I know that now is the time to throw spinnerbaits. Can I accurately throw these on spinning gear? And how does rod length play into this? I use a 6'6" rod with a pretty decent Shimano Spirex spooled with 8lb Fireline. Am I missing out?

I have to point out that I am strictly a "weekend warrior" fisherman but try to take in all things fishing. I've learned a lot over the years but I'm coming to the point where I know I haven't learned enough. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To baitcast or not to baitcast

I used to be spinning gear only. At one time I would take 5 of them to the lake. Bought a CHEAP baitcaster and tried it and hated it. Backlash after Backlash. Gave it away and then a year later bought a better one to try and LOVED it. Now it is 6 Baitcasters and 1 spinning rod to the lake. No comparison in the accuracy of baitcasters versus spinning reels plus you will get so many more cast with a baitcaster than spinning. Baitcaster you can put the spinnerbait just about anywhere you want as close as you want with 10 times the accuracy of spinning tackle. Get you a decent one and a decent rod and you will not look back. Quantum Accurist was my first decent one and you can get them for under $100. Still have it plus a second one and 2 older model Curado's and love all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I was strictly a 33 zebco fisherman. then i changed to a spinning reel. Then I got my first baitcaster and I was hooked. I now have 5 baitcasters and 1 spinning rod. Never pick up the spinning rod any more. I can flip accuratly and cast anywhere I want to. To me it all depends on the size of the rod for accuracy. With a smaller rod you can put it anywhere. Larger, ones is easier for casting distances. I mainly use 7 ft rods. Anyway, I know where you can get a 250 reel for 120 brand new. Its a Phuellger Patri. Just PM if your interested.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it ALL.............if it is MONSTER windy and I'm fishing into the wind.......I will use spinning..........

If I'm fishing in Canada out of a canoe........SPINNING......I've taken casting stuff, but spinning is easier to manage.

AND I think I can outcast any baitcasting outfit with spinning gear.......

Flippin buck brush in the spring at KY..........BAITCASTING, no DOUBT..........

Carolina Rigging.......BaitCaster...........

1/2 oz rattle traps............BaitCasting...........

WHEN I need to downsize, I use spinning. I can throw 1/4 oz jigs, or tubes on casting gear, but I can double the distance with spinning gear.

Just depends on conditions, etc, etc, as to what gear I pick up.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

im baitcastin all the way y control of what im casting an when that perfect cast counts! i can put it in the pocket its all about control baitcasting is it for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah baitcasters are better suited for accuracy and leverage. I like the fact that you can go with heavier line on them than spinning reels with fewer line spooling problems. Spinning rods have their place throwing lighter lures, lighter line or specific techniques but you have to get the baitcaster in your arsenal. Once you master it you will wonder why it took you so long to take it up.

Post Thanks / Like

If u want to try a baitcaster start with the abu ambassadar, their very easy to use and honestly a very solid real!! Spinning for light weight finnesse everything else baitcast. Spinning wont hold up all day when cranking like a baitcast will with the ratio on retrieve, etc,etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your shimano spirex have a trigger on it? If so dump it and dump it fast. I was losing a ton of fish due to a bad hook set on a similar reel and was talking to the manager at bass pro and he showed me. The spirex with the trigger does not have instant anti-reverse so before you get the hook set, you lose sever inches as the bell turns.

But in regards to your guestion... get some baitcaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: To baitcast or not to baitcast

You, sir, are missing out. Control, strength, line capacity, durability, applications, etc. are just some of the advantages to a baitcaster. I personally own 7 Shimano baitcasters (1 Core 100MgFV, 2 Chronarch 50Mgs, a Curado E5 and two E7s, and a 100DSV) all with certain purposes (topwater, jig, spinnerbait, plastics, etc).

I own two Shimano Stradics, a 3000FI and a 2500MgFA. I use these mainly for F-N-F during the colder months, but also use them during the summer when finesse is a must and light line is needed. I have two seperate rods for each spinning reel.

A good spinnerbait setup would be a 6'0 - 6'8" medium to medium heavy with fast action (personally) because accuracy is a must when fishing them. Also, a 6.2:1 gear ratio so you can slow it down or speed it up (the retrieve) when you need to.

You could fish a spinnerbait with a spinning combo, but when you get into the heavier spinnerbaits, a spinning reel just can't handle characteristics of "big" line and doesn't have the torque to move a big fish.

My equip is pricey, but you could invest in a combo suited for spinnerbaiting fairly cheap. Check out Bass Pro for a good combo........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pastorbass View Post
    Does your shimano spirex have a trigger on it? If so dump it and dump it fast. I was losing a ton of fish due to a bad hook set on a similar reel and was talking to the manager at bass pro and he showed me. The spirex with the trigger does not have instant anti-reverse so before you get the hook set, you lose sever inches as the bell turns.

But in regards to your guestion... get some baitcaster.
    No trigger and it has the anti-reverse. I personally like this reel. I'm not one to to go spend big money on gear. By big money I mean that I will not spend more than $80-$100 on a reel. No more than $100 on a rod either. Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'm sold. I'll get me one but probably won't be until the Fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Absloutely Baitcast for spinnerbaits!
    You'll never be as accurate or smoother and get off lots more cats without the problems of spinning.

Post Thanks / Like

Batecasters for everything. I grew up using spinning outfits. But a few years ago, I realized that I needed to to get the baits in on the targets tighter. I spent good money on a great rig and worked it. I really struggled to to be decent at it. Nests after nests after nests. I put it down. But since I don't like an object beating me, I kept working it at home. Years later, I use almost nothing but baitcasters. For me, the only times I use spinning outfits, is in open water with topwater trebles, or in the winter. . I cast everything from shadraps to well everything with baitcasters.

The most important thing is to match the rod and line to what your bait. Can't throw a shadrap on a med hvy rod with 20lb test. And can't get a good hookset with single hooked baits with a med or lite rod. A good real is important, but loading the rod up with the cast with the bait for me is the most important.