Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang Hybrids!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Hybrids!

So what's the secret to catching stripers and hybrids? I have spent the last couple days trying unsuccessfully to catch a darn fish and it just is not happening....arrrggghhh. I have been fishing a creek off the Ohio river and catching shad in my castnet to use for bait, which that creek is loaded with btw, I have tried fishing on a bottom rig...I have tried a balloon rig....I have tried lures...I have tried bargaining with the fish's creator....you name I have tried! I know there are some hybrids in the creek becasue I actually castnetted one the other day, too bad for him I was in a bad mood from wasted hours of not catching anything and I drop kicked him about 40 yards....

Any help is extremely appreciated as I am slowly going out of my mind over catching a 10lb+ hybrid/striper on the Big O.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dang Hybrids!

Try minnow type suspending bait soft plastics like a white or chart shad body 3 inch rigged on a lead ball jig head cut skipjack or chicken liver, on the plastics try using a spray on scent on them. What pool are you fishing in Im not asking for your creek. Just the pool usually when the water temps hit 55 you will start seeing action.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I don't mind asking....what creek you fishing? Reason, go to know where you are to know what might work. And I could use some help on catching shad. So here's my upfront payment. Try up behind the dam, behind the first hydro. I anchor back about 100 feet, and go to the bottom with a live shad nose hooked on a 4 foot leader, and a 1 ounce carolina rigged egg sinker. Also while there, try throwing Spro 1 or 1/2 ounce jigs with a 4 inch while curly tail. I throw up stream and toward the bank, then do a jig up, reel up type return. Usually get mashed on the lift of the rod tip. Also, free line a couple live shad out the back of the boat about 50 to 70 feet from the boat. Be surprised what all that will hookup, and some serious hybrids as sunsets start cruising shallow.

Try all these same things in the mouth of Salt River, at West Point. Might alos want to try same tactics at the mouth of Otter Creek. Easyiest access to Otter is from West point running down river. On Indiana side from Otter Creek, also try down towards Bradenburg just before the point at the next big turn. I anchor out 50 foot from the bank, then cast live baits back towards the flats as close to the point at the corner as possible. Had some luck there with live bait, as well as trolling the Spro jigs, and for fun, pitch a 8-10 foot running silver Bandit. Usually a bunch of whites cruise this side of the banks.

And for the life of me, I still don't understand the logic of not sharing info. What is the likelihood that you and I would ever be fishing the exact same day, at the same time, and end up meeting at the same creek? Anyway, hope what I wrote helps, and if I ever frequent one of these spots and you are already there, I'll just wave, smile, and move on to the next. Ohio River is big emnough for the both of us. Cheers, bro!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the hydros in Louisville as often as possible (but not often enough!). Try blade baits, such as Silver Buddies, 1/2 oz jig/grub combos, and topwaters. Start by casting into and around the current edges and work from there. Look for "boils and humps" in the current which can indicate breaks in the flow. The bigger fish will sit there and wait for bait to wash by. Topwaters can produce even if you do not see fish busting on top.

If you can catch some skipjack or shad, fish the way Bob suggested. Also with live bait, if you can pull up to the face of the lower dam, you will find the water drops from 10' to 25+' very quickly. Drop a live, or cut chunk of, shad directly into the deep water. Big fish will sit there waiting for bait that gets run thru the dam. If they are there, you will know right away. I have had the best luck in the middle section of the dam, but they could be anywhere. Keep your boat out of the main current and the eddy current will help hold you near the face. The best bite occurs near the edge of the current seam. BE ALERT TO SUDDEN CHANGES IN GENERATION FROM THE DAM. I don't use an anchor so I can vacate the area quickly if need be. Don't be afraid...just be smart.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!! I mainly fish up here in Northern KY near petersburg and the I-275 bridge. I would like to hit the dams more often since they are about 45 minutes away, but I have a ramp near the house that I usually sneak out to the river at. As far as shad go I can pretty much get them year round, however right now they are loading the creeks up off the Ohio, look for any telltale spit on top the water then cast your net and voila! bait. I also use my fishfinder religiously in the search for live bait and cast the net appropriately. I finally got a fishfinder that has a built temp guage so I can tell what the water is doing but from what I can tell online the river is about 50 degrees in the Meldahl pool ( I think I am in the Meldahl pool? I can never get that straight in my head, is upriver the pool or downriver?)

As far as keeping shad alive well that is another topic entirely...but lets say you need to do your homework and use salt (1 cup per 20 gal and 1 cup of shadsaver). If you need more info on making a simple and cheap tank give me a shout and I will help all I can.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

And for the life of me, I still don't understand the logic of not sharing info. What is the likelihood that you and I would ever be fishing the exact same day, at the same time, and end up meeting at the same creek? Anyway, hope what I wrote helps, and if I ever frequent one of these spots and you are already there, I'll just wave, smile, and move on to the next. Ohio River is big emnough for the both of us. Cheers, bro![/quote]

Well said hurricane. I couldn't agree more...unfortunately I don't fish that area to give information, but I like your attitude man. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goosecreekguy View Post
    And for the life of me, I still don't understand the logic of not sharing info. What is the likelihood that you and I would ever be fishing the exact same day, at the same time, and end up meeting at the same creek? Anyway, hope what I wrote helps, and if I ever frequent one of these spots and you are already there, I'll just wave, smile, and move on to the next. Ohio River is big enough for the both of us. Cheers, bro!

Well said hurricane. I couldn't agree more...unfortunately I don't fish that area to give information, but I like your attitude man. good luck
    The only reason that I can give you is that the information you give out here is seen by many, many more than you intend to give the information too. Internet scouters. If you want I suggest you use pm's that way you know only the person that you intend to inform is the one who gets the info, until it is spead by that person that is.

Seen it happen lots when it comes to crappie fishing, duck hunting and just hunting in general. Not nagging or arguing just making you aware.

Post Thanks / Like

thats so funny about the drop kick! thats something that i would do! lmao

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my secret bait for hybirds/stripers. CHICKEN LIVERS. Don't laugh. They work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    Here's my secret bait for hybirds/stripers. CHICKEN LIVERS. Don't laugh. They work.
    I'm not laughing...I've caught some of my biggest hybrids while fishing with chicken livers for cats! It does work! Just trying to keep that crap on a hook though is a task in its self! lol!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I'm not laughing...I've caught some of my biggest hybrids while fishing with chicken livers for cats! It does work! Just trying to keep that crap on a hook though is a task in its self! lol!

-Rich
    I use an old pair of the ol'lady's pantyhose for chicken liver. Just cut a square piece of it and place a piece of liver in it fold up the corners and hook. Then pull up remaining holes and hook fish can't get it out or off the hook. Just have a knife handy to cut the pantyhose off the hook when ready for another piece.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught hybrid on every lake around here and the river, biggest so far was 14# on Guist........ trolling!
    Use Rapala DTs, minnow raps, shad raps, etc. Should be a decent made lure so it doesn't spin and determine the size/depth according to the water depth. I usually move at about 1.5 to 2 mph. Cover a lot of ground, find the shad, get your lure just under them, and hang on! Might pop off a lure or two, but it pays off for almost all species!
    Also, we fished the hydros a few months back, anchored off to side in quiet water, and cast floating crank baits into the turbulance. (Husky jerks, Bass Pro minnow about a size 7 or 9, zara spook - silver and blue was working the last time) let the flow carry it out to the edge of the foam and they were picking them off. Boatbum and I caught 25-30 that way in the 2-4# range.
    Hope this helps...... besides, a slow troll is more relaxing that constant casting! And I'm getting lazy in my old age!