Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green River Lake conditions

What kind of fhspae is the lake in? Thinking of going down for the day on Thursday, what kind of water temps/color am I looking at and are the bass starting to move up.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Green River Lake conditions

Well a friend and I fish yesterday, yea it was NASTY, and caught 13 with 12 legals best five would have weighed in at 18 lbs. My buddy hooked up with a really big musky, what I went to fish for LOL, but it really liked his lure and kept it. Anyway water is muddy to stained with temps 47.5-52.5 hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Green River Lake conditions

I run the USA Bassin Green River Lake division and we had our first tournament of the year on Saturday the 21th.

The lake is stained, by GRL standards. On many other lakes, I would consider the color perfect. On Saturday, the temps started ad 51 degrees in the morning and rose to 56 by the afternoon. That was before this little cold snap, so it will be cooler now.

We have a very good weigh in, though not the 20+ pound sacks they caught the weekend of the 21st. We had 16 boats, but only 15 weighed in. The other participant had battery issues and left the lake early. Of the 15 that weighed in, 10 had limits and there were no blanks. We paid 3 places. It took 17.61 to win and 15+ to get a check.

We had almost as many spotted bass weighed in as largemouth, and several nice smallmouth came in. One team weighed in a huge 4.71 pound spotted bass. It looked like it had eaten a football. My partner and I took big fish honors with a 7.99 pound largemouth (that I caught). That is a personal record for me, and the largest either of us have ever weighed in at a tournament. It is the biggest bass I have ever seen in person. I believe that a similar (maybe bigger) fish was weighed in the weekend before, but I am not sure.

The bait that we were fishing (as well as the one that won it) was a spinnerbait. I don't know what color/configuration the winners were using, but we sere throwing a white or blue/silver shad colored 1/2 ounce bait with dual willow-leaf (gold) blades and a white grub trailer. We were fishing main lake gravel banks across from Lone Valley, keeping the boat in 10-12 feet of water and slow-rolling the bait. Our hits came (we think) in 5-7 feet of water. That big one did not hit right on any cover, but she may have followed it from a lay-down after I came over it. My understanding is that the winners were slow-rolling their spinnerbaits as well on main lake banks/points, but I did not ask about colors or bank composition. Their exact words were that they just fished banks that 'looked good'.

The other baits that were reported to work were red or chartreuse crankbaits along the lines of a Bandit 300 or Bomber 7A. We caught some nice fish on the red Bandit 300 on Friday, but couldn't get a good bite on it Saturday. (fished in the same areas we were hitting with the spinnerbait)

Good luck!
    Clint Cone
    USA Bassin Green River Lake division director
    (859) 608-7997
    clintcone@hotmail.com