Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Rocky the SnakeHead

Have yall heard this?

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ing_to_an.html

The saga of Rocky the snakehead fish finally may be coming to an end.
    Fish owner Chris Deverso of Clay said it was reaffirmed by a Department of Environmental Conservation official this week that the 10-year-old, 28-inch long-fish would be seized and destroyed.
    It was the first time Deverso had spoken to the DEC since it was supposed to take the fish Feb. 26, but that plan was aborted to avoid media coverage and interference from protestors, according to a DEC official. Lt. Don Pleakis told Deverso the DEC has no choice but to seize the snakehead fish, which has been illegal to own in New York state since 2004.

"He's tried to find a home for the snakehead. He's exhausted all his possibilities, that I know of,'' Pleakis said. "I've exhausted everything that I know of. This has gone all the way to legislators, to senators, to the highest it can get in the DEC. It still stands, we can't change the law and give him a permit for the fish.''
    Deverso, who purchased the fish legally from a pet store in 1999, has unsuccessfully tried to find Rocky a home since he pleaded guilty in January to possessing the banned fish.
    "They're coming to get the fish but on their terms," said Deverso, who intiated the contact with the DEC. "They wouldn't say when or how they're going to take the fish, I'm guessing because they don't want people there."
    Pleakis said there is no timetable to seize the fish. "That's still being talked about and debated,'' he said.
    DEC Region 7 Director Ken Lynch previously said the department was concerned about the potential big-picture impacts of invasive species. Snakeheads are voracious, known for eating all the fish in a lake or pond and even eating their young.
    A permit cannot be issued, nor can Deverso's fish be grandfathered in since he owned it legally before the ban, Lynch said.
    Deverso has tried for three months to convince the state that his fish is not a threat. He says that unlike a northern snakehead species, his type of snakehead -- a giant snakehead -- couldn't survive in our cold climate. But state law does not distinguish among the 29 different species of snakeheads.
    Deverso said he's not giving up the fight. He spent Tuesday contacting lawyers in attempt to save his fish.
    "There are lawyers who say they can get my ticket reversed and try to get me a permit," Deverso said, "but at what financial cost? It could cost me $5,000. That's what I'm concentrating on now."

Tom Leo can be reached at tleo@syracuse.com or 470-6013.
    Many of you know how I feel about the ignorance regarding Channa (and many other fish for that matter) but here is what I think about this.

1. Its crazy to think that withl ittle thought or reasoning behind it, the .gov can make our legally purchased posessions illegal.

2. The NY DEC allowed a lady to keep a species of cat she had for a pet that she purchased legally before they were banned, but they wont let this guy keep his fish that unlike the cat, WOULD NOT SURVIVE IN NEW YORK.

3. Cant tax payers dollars be spent more efficiently?

Dont get me wrong, I do believe laws should be obeyed but its seems like there isnt much the .gov doesnt stick its nose in these days. Channa microlepis have been sold legally in NY for decades by the tens of thousands and there is not ONE living and breeding in their waters.

I just think its a crock of **** that they can take a legal possesion of yours, make it illegal with out the peoples input or sound reasoning, and then take it and make you a criminal. I guess we are all potential criminals in their eyes!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rocky the SnakeHead

I'm torn on this one. On one hand I think it's wrong that they can do this because I'm against gubment dictating too much of my personal life especially if they say yes one year and then no later on which then makes you in violation of the law that you abided by in the first place.

On the other hand, it's a fish and I'm certain I would not spend my time and money defending my right to own a fish but that's just me. I'm also certain I could have found a home for this fish so I don't believe he has exhausted all his resources.

Post Thanks / Like

People are interested in different things I guess. But you got to look at if it was something you cared about like this guy cares about his fish. Maybe your dog or your favorite fishing lure.

It's hard to find a home for it for a couple reasons. One they are illegal in all states except Maryland (which is ironic because you remember the whole snakehead scare started in Crofton Pond Maryland a few years back). Since there is a federal ban on Channa, the fish can not be moved across state lines to a private individual in Maryland who can legally own the fish because Congress completely takes advantage of its "right" to regulate interstate commerce (I could go off for days on that right there in itself!!! GRRRR!!)

Second, Channa microlepis are nothing special from the stand point of a learning institution or zoo/aquarium. Chris probably payed less then $10 for this fish in 1999. in their native countries they are nothing more then a food fish though they are often kept as pets there too. Heck, like goldfish here, young channa microleips are sold as feeder fish in pet stores! Zoos and aquariums, especially in this economic crunch, dont have much money to apply for the permit needed to keep it plus build and maintain an aquarium for the animal.

Ive dealt with these fish before and though it not like a dog greeting you when you come in the door, they are very much a pet. They can tell you from a stranger and really interact with you (all of course over food but still). So I guess I can kind of see how after ten years Chris has grown attached to his pet and is fighting tooth and nail for it. Afterall, do you think if the government banned a furry pet there would be grandfather clause unlike this ban?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me from what I have learned from you and t.v. (did i say that? t.v.?) is that responsible fish owners are being grouped in with less than respectful fish owners so you all suffer together. I know they have talked about banning pit bulls in some areas of the united states. Don't know if it ever passed?

Post Thanks / Like

I admit I am not an expert on different fish species, however, there seems to be a valid reason for confiscating it. Snakehead fish don't appear to be native but Asian fish and are referred to as "Fishzilla."

While the owner may have been a responsible pet fish owner, who can say DEFINITELY what may have ultimately become of it. Circumstances may, at some point, require that another person be charged with the care of it and that person decides to dump it into the first lake or river they come to. I realize this is hypothetical but still such things have happened thousands of times. That's how those giant Boa snakes have ended up in the Everglades and are reproducing at a rapid rate.

Personally I don't think it's as much about government interference in our lives as it is about protecting our natural ecosystem. Perhaps the decision was based on something like the law that says it's illegal to dump certain fish from one river or lake into another. jmo

I found this information to be thought provoking:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...snakehead.html

Post Thanks / Like

Th answer would be very easy, if of course the DEC, could think of it. Have the guy register the fish. Have all other exotic animals, fish, reptiles etc. have to be registered pre-ownnership, on which they can deny. Once the snakehead has lived out it's life span, which could be very long in this case, and passes, close the file.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_bug View Post
    I admit I am not an expert on different fish species, however, there seems to be a valid reason for confiscating it. Snakehead fish don't appear to be native but Asian fish and are referred to as "Fishzilla."

While the owner may have been a responsible pet fish owner, who can say DEFINITELY what may have ultimately become of it. Circumstances may, at some point, require that another person be charged with the care of it and that person decides to dump it into the first lake or river they come to. I realize this is hypothetical but still such things have happened thousands of times. That's how those giant Boa snakes have ended up in the Everglades and are reproducing at a rapid rate.

Personally I don't think it's as much about government interference in our lives as it is about protecting our natural ecosystem. Perhaps the decision was based on something like the law that says it's illegal to dump certain fish from one river or lake into another. jmo

I found this information to be thought provoking:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...snakehead.html
    Channa microlepis are a tropical species that demand very warm water year round. The fish slows down considerably with temps down to just 70F. Prolonged exposer to 60 degree will cause health problems that will slowly kill the animal and water in the 50s or below, the animal would die very quickly. The chances of the animal surviving for more then the few warmest months of the year is litterally zero. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Besides, even if they did survive, these fish are air breathers and will drown if they can not reach the surface...isnt ice fishing popular in NY?

The snakes in EXTREME south Florida you are referring to are reticulated pythons, which like C. microlepis are a tropical species. The pythons are restricted to extreme S. Florida and due to colder temps just slightly north.

Another great example in the S. Florida area are the Cichla sp. (C. monoculus/C. Ocellaris hybrids) aka the butterfly peacock bass. They were introduced intentionally by the .gov. Unfortunately, since peacock bass are a tropical fish with the same habitat requirements as C. microlepis, albeit on a different continent, they survive in just several canals in the Miami area, go north just a couple dozen miles and its too cold for them to survive the winter. If a tropical fish cant survive as far south as Orlando, it aint surviving in Syracuse NY depsite it being called fishzilla.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught Oscars in some of the local lakes in Orlando but as stated never heard of Peacocks but I would wish for it! We would catch more (Oscars) in the Big "O" especially around full moons.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, my dream is to go fishing in South America for some monster peacocks, Payara, and some of the GIANT catfish species they have down there. I am convinced, excuse me as I dont have a common name for the fish, Brachyplatysoma filamentosum could possibly be one of the largest if not the largest 100% freshwater boney fish in the world. The 600lb Mekong Catfish that I'm sure yall have seen pictures of circulating in emails (the giant catfish dead on the blue tarp) is currently the largest freshwater boney fish caught. I think B. filamentosum could be bigger because of that Hunt for Big Fish episode where Larry caught that eight footer he eastimated to be 400+ pounds. The Mekong Catfish are heavily pressured so catching the odd giant isnt that so far fetched, but B. filamentosum are not. Larry trekked deep deep into the jungle and fished a spot for a couple of days more then 100ft deep and caught that monster. I guess what I am trying to say is, the odds of that 8ft fish being the biggest considering they are hardly ever fished and an eight footer is caught in a short time span is small, there has to be bigger out there!