Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lower Salt River white bass

Anybody ever fish the Salt around Shepherdsville and catch white bass? Just wondering sine I practically live on this river and haven't fished it since I was a young kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lower Salt River white bass

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Anybody ever fish the Salt around Shepherdsville and catch white bass? Just wondering sine I practically live on this river and haven't fished it since I was a young kid.
    Hey Tim, I have wanted to fish the Salt river every since I moved to Mt. Washington, and never have either. Do you know where you could launch a boat out that way? I see that KOA campground every time I ride down 44, and always wondered if they have a launch ramp, would love to put my aluminum in there and fish down as far as you could go toward Fort Knox. I bet there are some good fish in that part of the Salt. If you know of any launch areas around us, please let me know. Thanks Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I think the KOA charges something like $7.50 to put a boat in. A little steep, but the spot looks sweet. I'd like to put a small boat in and go up Floyds Fork myself, but I've yet to do it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wishniwasfishn View Post
    Hey Tim, I have wanted to fish the Salt river every since I moved to Mt. Washington, and never have either. Do you know where you could launch a boat out that way? I see that KOA campground every time I ride down 44, and always wondered if they have a launch ramp, would love to put my aluminum in there and fish down as far as you could go toward Fort Knox. I bet there are some good fish in that part of the Salt. If you know of any launch areas around us, please let me know. Thanks Bob
    KPA charges a fee and not sure how much it is. As far as going toward Fort Knox, not going to get very far. The railroad bridge in Shepherdsville is all riffle except in the worst conditions. About to the Converntion center and awesome flea market area would be as far as you could go.

You could go up river all the way to the river bottoms in normal flow from what I have been told. I know My son and I have canoed from near Mt. Washington down to the Converntion center and a small boat would make it from what I saw.

Send me a PM, maybe we could figure out this thing together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    KPA charges a fee and not sure how much it is. As far as going toward Fort Knox, not going to get very far. The railroad bridge in Shepherdsville is all riffle except in the worst conditions. About to the Converntion center and awesome flea market area would be as far as you could go.

You could go up river all the way to the river bottoms in normal flow from what I have been told. I know My son and I have canoed from near Mt. Washington down to the Converntion center and a small boat would make it from what I saw.

Send me a PM, maybe we could figure out this thing together.
    How far do you have to go up to find consistent riffles? I'd fish it but everywhere I've looked (limited) looks like long flat deep pools.

Post Thanks / Like

You can run almost to Mt. Washington is what I have been told before you get in riffles. Also if you there are nice riffles around the first street park in Shpeherdsville where you could wade fish. I am thinking of give that a try tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I reckon the next rainy day I'll have to get down there and do some scouting from Shepardsville upstream.

Post Thanks / Like

If we don't get anymore rain today and the water drops enough, I may give it a try tomorrow. Send me a pm if you want to hook up and try it prowler. Same for you wishin.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, hjust rode through the park to look at the river and there is no way it is going to be fishable by tomorrow and with thunderstorms predicted for here Sunday I would guess that it is going to be several days before it gets fishable.

Post Thanks / Like

So from 44 up stream is there any where to put in? How small a boat are you guys talking canoe, john boat with trolling motor or a good 18' lund with a 50 on back?

Post Thanks / Like

The Lund might be iffy, not sure you might could make it work. A canoe or john boat would be great. The only place I know of to launch would be the KOA.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmm... sounds like a good place to me, one ramp with a high fee to put in and riffles to keep out most traffic. I think I might be able to squeeze it in one day after derby. Yeah...