Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

guist creek help

need help on guist creek never been there before wanting to take my 7 year old sunday he dont like to pan fish all he want to do is cast out and real in he said he like to fish for bass which is right up my alley was going sat but there is 2 many tourments there and it is the start of his spring break so we are planning to hit a few lakes so ne body can help us with were to go and possibily what to use i would be more than glad to help u the best i can on other lakes feel free to email me culver70@ironworker.com or post here thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: guist creek help

I dont mean to sound negative but I would never go there again if my life depended on it. Its about a 340 acre lake with tons of fishing pressure. Its very hard on most days to even catch just one fish.

I would suggest taking him to Elmer Davis Lake. Its not too far away and there is a ton of bass in it. This time of year is great for catching some of those big ones you hear about.

Just google it to get directions. I live in louisville and it only takes me about 40 minutes or so to get there. Your son will have a blast if the conditions are right. Much better time than guist creek any day.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to tell you, they irradicated all of the shad in Elmer Davis. The primary food source is bluegill. There is also a certain type of thin minnow that stuck around.

If I were you, I would throw a norman thin N (crankbait) in bluegill color. If the water is stained a reddish orange crawfish color crankbait never fails. any of those in the four to seven foot range will work best.

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys im new on the board but whats wrong with guist creek ? I fish it all the time and i always do good .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modelAbomber View Post
    hey guys im new on the board but whats wrong with guist creek ? I fish it all the time and i always do good .
    have always heard it was a good place hope it turns out good for me and the kid

Post Thanks / Like

Guist Creek is a high risk reward lake. It has big bass in it but they can really be hard to catch. It is not a place I would take someone to go and try to catch numerous fish. Elmer Davis is much easier to catch fish. You may not catch the size and quality as you would in Guist. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay clear of Guist! Too small, too over-fished, and too few good bass in it. Not a bad place to go if you are going by yourself with with another avid angler trying to work for some bass...but if you are taking your son, who I assume you want to catch some fish....stay clear. You always want to take your kids to a place where they can catch fish, no matter what the size. This will keep your kids interest in the sport, and with one "special" day, you can get your kid hooked for life! Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I fish guist a ton and I have had several days with no bytes. Others where I only catch one fish, but its ussually around three pounds. I have only had one night where I had about 16 pounds with one around 5 to 6 pounds.

That lake is pretty tough if your not using live bait. Good luck if you go.

Post Thanks / Like

The last post says it all, expect more bad days than good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not lived in this area for long. Started fishing guist last year and have had good luck fishing it. Not big numbers of bass usually about 4-5 a day. Most are good size. My g/f usually panfish fishes on ultra light and usually catches a little of everything crappie, catfish ,bass.