Search Fishin.com

Thread: Landing Net

Post Thanks / Like

Question Landing Net

Well I have a question about landing nets, I have a frabil that I just bought for this year - I had the 300 pound hook proof rubber net and it didn't get on the fish fast enough and was hard to swim around the water when trying to land one. So i bought the frabil that has the little octagon shaped holes and they are great except they grab a hook and don't like coming out and i have had to cut little fibers to get the barbs released and don't want to tear up a $30 net soooooo, what kind of landing net have you found that works the best?

Please don't say just lip 'em in because I do especially if I'm alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Landing Net

The nylon cording works pretty good but hooks will still get in those to, kinda the nature of the beast. What I have found that helps is after they are in the net try to hold their head up with the rod tip so they can't thrash until you acn get ahold on them. Not a cure all but it does help some.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a rubber net - have the same problem. I also have the exact frabil net, it now is covered with holes from cutting treble hooks out. I can usually work them out, but if I am fishing a tournament or the bite is really hot, I will get the scissors out.

Bart at Fisherman's HQ had a net last year that I am going to get. He is ordering several more, but they are pricey ($75-$100). It is similar to your old-school nets (wide woven), however it is coated with high strength nylon. It is not your typical coated net, you can't pull a 4/0 hook through the net itself - it will straighten the hook out before it penetrates. It is supposed to be less harmful to the fish. I will find out exactly the brand the next time I am in there, and post it or PM you. I will be getting one soon.

Post Thanks / Like

i picked up a nylon net that is rubber coated adn i really like it the nylon isnt that thick so it has less of a chance to get hooked.... i did have one of them solid rubber ones that are gold but i didnt like it cause it was too shallow....

Post Thanks / Like

Just started using the rubber kind this year.
    BPS had them real cheap durning their spring sale. I noticed it is heavy but it has been great for all the shallow crankbait bite this spring. Lays down in the boat so good not in the way and hook fall out so easy, even with fish in the net.

Post Thanks / Like

i have the same rubber net and so far it has worked great but i have not caught anything big yet so i don't know if the depth is an issue. my old net caught to many hooks and after a year or so it got brittle so i switched good luck in finding one

Post Thanks / Like

I got rid of the rubber net because of weight issues, as far as depth it was fine but if you were chasing a fish next to the boat you couldn't move it very fast because of the weight and design. I loved it for the hooks not embedding but when I fish a tournament I don't need my partner chasing the fish with the net right at the boat.

I wonder if you could use a rubber like undercoating spray on the smaller holed frabils????? i know it would stiffen it a bit but may help??? If you kept it real thin it may not hinder too much