Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Question

Post Thanks / Like

Line Question

I mostly fish for Stripers on lake Cumberland at night. I have been using Berkley Big Game for years. This year i purchased a black light but big game is clear and will not glow under the black light. I was wondering what is a good 15lb line to use that is comparable to big game 15-17lb range that is fluorescent and will work under my new black light. I bought a spool of Excel to try but I haven’t spooled it up yet. I am planning a trip the 18th - 25th of this month. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Line Question

they make the BIg Game in Electric Blue, and it will show up under a blacklight. I use it, and alot of the guys I know that go down there for night fishing the Stripers use it too. Its very Blue, and strong. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that they make that Electric Blue. it looked to me like it was blue but not fluorescent. ill have to get some and check it out. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you some research on P-line Flouroclear and try some . I night fish for bass and this is the only line I use for night fishing for it's flourecent purposeses . Also I'm pretty sure it comes in the size you want. Very limp and castable and suposed to have some of the flourocarbon quaility's. I love it.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by striper81 View Post
    I saw that they make that Electric Blue. it looked to me like it was blue but not fluorescent. ill have to get some and check it out. Thanks for the info.
    It isn't overwhelming under a blacklight but it definitly shows up, enough to see it good anyways. With the strength you are used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a ton for the info i will definatly give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Stren Original clear/blue really GLOWS even couple yards away from black light. Guarantee.

Btw they only have them in 14 and 17 lb test, no 15.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to get some Berkley Trilene Maxx in Photochromic. It is an orange/yellow color that changes so you can see it when its dark out, lightens up when the sun is bright, but stays almost clear when underwater. AND THE BEST OF ALL.........IT GLOWS UNDER A BLACKLIGHT. However, it is hard to find so good luck. The Big Game used to come in the Photochromic color, but its a rarity and I think you can only find it on eBay. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I use pline in moss green color, then again I don't use a black light at night when striper fishing.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first year I will use a black light. I have seen a great many people that use them at night where we fish. I don’t think that it will be a huge benefit to see the line at night while stripers fishing just to be able to see the bank better on those dark nights to get the bait in the "strike zone" more consistently. But it might be nice to see the line when there are 3 people casting blind. I think I’m going to try the big game in the blue and see how it works out. I have never been a fan of fluorocarbon for a main line I always make a mess with it. Thanks very much for all the good info great bunch of people on the board. I will try to post pictures and reports after we return from the trip. We will be staying at Kendall so if you see a white Prince Craft come by and say hello!

Post Thanks / Like

I did'nt mean to mislead you but the P-line isn't Flourocarbon , it's more mono than anything . In the Basspro book it say's Flourocarbon coating ensures near invisability underwater. Not trying to push it or anything but it's the right line for me where I fish around rock banks for bass.......

HURRICANEBOB Guest

To all:

Make me smart guys (I know, big job). But for years we talked about making the line "invisible" to make the lure presentation more natural, and so the fish (The infamous "Striper with 20-20"). Could not see the line and get spoked by it.

At night working a bank, I find a stray noise, or even a stray light can shut down a bank....well atleast cause a break or pause. It just seems to me the black light casing the line to illuminate would be a hinderance. Especially as the illumination is bound to carry down the line to some degree, transmitted inside the clear line itself.

I've always used either Stren Clear Blue Florescent, or Berkley Big Game Clear or Green, and done well with it night busting the banks for popping, surface slurping Stripers.

Doesn't the black lighted glowing line spook fish?
    Last edited by HURRICANEBOB; 04-15-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling, and I needed a beer.