Search Fishin.com

Thread: Smoking

Post Thanks / Like

Smoking

Well I did not make it quitting, I went over 1 week but it got to me, I am now going to do the Chantix thing, I know Grump, but I cannot do it cold turkey, not strong enough I quess, I am smoking lights right now, but my target date to complettly stop is Apr 30th, I will start the chantix next week. and see how it goes. Thanks for the support before, sorry I let you and me down, Dr said I am under a lot of stress right now, due to my job etc, and that could have lead to my backslide. Hardest thing I have ever tried to give up, most addictive drug out there and it is legal. My Dr said that getting off Heroine is easier as the withdrawls last artound three/four days, cigs takes weeks to get all the nicitone out of your system.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoking

Hang in there Bobby. I too did not make it. I have cut my smoking in half, but can't make myself set them down. I don't carry them with me, and don't keep them in the same room. If I smoke it has to be an effort on my part. The one thing I have to do is not go Buy a pack when I finish one. We both know it's the right thing to do, it's just in the doing. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Heck just try and try again until you get it right. Don't let it beat you guys. Hope you guys all the best with this.

Post Thanks / Like

When I quit several years ago I must have as the old timers used to say "quit in the right sign " . I dont remember when it was but maybe one of those almanac calanders has that kind of imformation. If you really want to quit , anything is worth a try. I think I'd be dead if I had'nt quit. Good luck in your fight...........

Post Thanks / Like

Very few people quit on the first, or even second try, especially if they've been smoking for a long time. It usually takes a number of starts/stops. Don't beat yourself up about it; just keep trying. Best of luck to ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    Very few people quit on the first, or even second try, especially if they've been smoking for a long time. It usually takes a number of starts/stops. Don't beat yourself up about it; just keep trying. Best of luck to ya.
    I was one of those that was blessed. I wanted to quit smoking, prayed and asked for Divine help; got it, and the smoking was finished. It's hard for some to believe but I never had the craving, nerves, and restlessness that most people have when they quit. It was as if I had never smoked in my life and I didn't have the weight gain that sometimes comes with smoking cessation.

It was the same way when Sweetie Pie quit drinking. He never touched alcohol after that Divine intervention. He smokes like a freight train burning coal and has tried multiple times to quit. I just don't think he is psychologically ready to stop and that's where it all begins. I believe that his is more of a habit than an addiction because he only smokes during the daytime; he never gets up during the night to smoke. If it was a physical addiction he would have to get up during the night.

The rest of the story...he has developed serious heart problems and doctors have told him that, unless he stops smoking, he may have five years left to live, two of those have already passed and I'm scared. I've asked him if he is willing to give his life for a 3-inch object that can't walk, talk, move, or even light itself and yet he continues to let it control him. It is pointless for me to complain about his smoking and I don't do it. He still works every day but I sometimes get scared when the phone rings; afraid he's been rushed to the hospital. Tonight he seems weak and very tired but still had that cigarette before he went to bed. He doesn't have emphysema and for that I am thankful.

For those of you who are trying to stop smoking, I hope you are successful in beating that demon. May God give you everything you need to overcome your tobacco addiction and make it an easy task for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Bug I'm sorry to hear that about your man. You make a good point about the choice between quitting or dealing with a series of serious health problems. I would think that the choice would be easy but I guess as a nonsmoker I don't understand.
    God Bless...

Post Thanks / Like

Repeat after me:

God help me to remember that nothing can happen today that You and I together can't handle!

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Wow Bug I'm sorry to hear that about your man. You make a good point about the choice between quitting or dealing with a series of serious health problems. I would think that the choice would be easy but I guess as a nonsmoker I don't understand.
    God Bless...
    I don't usually reveal the personal side of my life but, doggone it, I have a right to vent when I'm being robbed of the man who is my best friend, my best buddy, my very life, and all because of something as small and helpless as a cigarette. We have health insurance that will pay for smoking cessation treatments and, if we didn't, we're blessed with enough money to pay cash for them but he won't even give it a try. I hold a Ph.D in Psychology and admit that I can't wrap my head around his illogical thinking and struggles to hold onto the very thing that is killing him. I don't adhere to the theory that it has to do with an "addictive personality" which is something that cannot be scientifically explained. That terminology is used as a means of patient solicitation for unscrupulous mental health professionals. His explanation has simply been that he enjoys smoking, the taste of a good cigarette or pipe, and he likes to relax with a good cup of coffee and a cigarette. What a high price to pay for such temporary pleasure!

Post Thanks / Like

Bug, maybe he thinks like my mother, who in her farm yard Irish mentality, when told she had to quit smoking, said: "In order to live longer, you have to give up all of the things you want to liver longer to enjoy!! What's the sense?"

I know there were many other things she could have enjoyed but she never saw the benefit of giving up the cigarettes until she got to the point where she couldn't breath.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked for 30 years camels 2-3 packs a day and could not quit . Finally I quit every other week for about 2 months and eventually two weeks and so on it took about 4 months I have been cigareete free for 14 years. I know it sounds stupid but for me it worked also used toothpicks o substitute for a while....Good luck and keep trying