Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: River Monsters

Post Thanks / Like

River Monsters

There is a new show on animal planet I beilieve it is called river monsters, it is about giant fish. I saw the previews the guy who catch's the fish is insane. It starts Sunday night

Post Thanks / Like

Re: River Monsters

I watched it and seen the killer Catfish that ate people and cattle. It was called a gooch or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRACKER MAN View Post
    I watched it and seen the killer Catfish that ate people and cattle. It was called a gooch or something like that.
    It was unreal. Sunday nights at 10:00, I can just see elwood jumping in that stream and letting the 200 pound catfish with inch and a half teeth ski him down the river LOL

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TRACKER MAN View Post
    Gooch? I always called my mother-in-law..... Mom.

Post Thanks / Like

I will not be swimming any streams in India any time soon but I would love to get ahold of one of those big boys...that guys is insane for floating down that river with a man-eating fish on.

Post Thanks / Like

Man eating catfish, now that is funny. The fish talked about here is Bagarius yarrelli (my spelling is off, just of the top of my head here) and there is NO WAY one could ever eat an adult, or even a child. Yeah maybe a dead infant but so could a large blue or flathead.

If any one wants buy one of these "man eaters" I could get one to your door for less then $50! They are a cool fish to keep!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
    If any one wants buy one of these "man eaters" I could get one to your door for less then $50! They are a cool fish to keep!
    How many would it take to stock the Ohio R.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
    How many would it take to stock the Ohio R.

Probably ALOT. They wouldnt survive either. Though they are a cooler water fish, they are not a cold water fish. Too bad cause they may clear out some of the pressure at the falls! haha

There are a few different species in the genius though and one or two are from high mountain streams and rivers in the Himalayas are indeed cold water fish though they dont get nearly as large.

Post Thanks / Like

The only catfish I am afraid of,and Jason you might be able to help me out here, is one that lives in the Amazon. If you swim or come in contact with the water, it is so small it can enter a mans privates and lay eggs....THAY BOY'S -IS SCARY....Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    The only catfish I am afraid of,and Jason you might be able to help me out here, is one that lives in the Amazon. If you swim or come in contact with the water, it is so small it can enter a mans privates and lay eggs....THAY BOY'S -IS SCARY....Chuck
    Aww yes the candiru (I forget which species as there are several in the genus), the only vertebrate parasite to use humans as hosts.

While obviously the fish doesnt rely on humans, they have indeed found them selves in places that make you squirm to think about.

The fish doesnt go there to lay eggs, they go there to **** blood. What they do is follow a trail of ammonia naturally released out of the gills of a breathing fish. The candiru follows that trail, swims up the gills, pops out the dorsal and pectoral spines we all know catfish are famous for, embeds its self and feasts on the blood! It is theorized that the candiru occasionally will follow the ammonia after a person urinates in the water and well.... How some one wouldnt feel it I have no idea as they arent exactly tiny. Adults are maybe a bit thinner then a pencil, and yes Ive seen them availble in the pet trade too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
    Aww yes the candiru (I forget which species as there are several in the genus), the only vertebrate parasite to use humans as hosts.

While obviously the fish doesnt rely on humans, they have indeed found them selves in places that make you squirm to think about.

The fish doesnt go there to lay eggs, they go there to **** blood. What they do is follow a trail of ammonia naturally released out of the gills of a breathing fish. The candiru follows that trail, swims up the gills, pops out the dorsal and pectoral spines we all know catfish are famous for, embeds its self and feasts on the blood! It is theorized that the candiru occasionally will follow the ammonia after a person urinates in the water and well.... How some one wouldnt feel it I have no idea as they arent exactly tiny. Adults are maybe a bit thinner then a pencil, and yes Ive seen them availble in the pet trade too!
    I new you could help Jason, That's one scary critter...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    I new you could help Jason, That's one scary critter...Chuck

No doubt.

What could be scary and oughta scare off a few waders from the falls, Bull Sharks (very very aggressive man attackers) have been found over 2,000mi up the Amazon from the Atlantic Ocean!! There is even a documented example of one being caught in Illinois over 1,000mi from the the Gulf.

Its not impossible for one to swim up as far as the falls! Could you imagine bringing one of those bad boys up while catfishing?!