Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

possession limit

What is the difference between daily limit and possession limit? If there are 2 people in the boat, are you allowed to keep 12 walleye? The daily limit is 6 and the possession limit is 12.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: possession limit

Du....Du.....,??????????????????
    Think about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: possession limit

Nice response Boone. I guess I'm just stupid so why don't you just tell me.

Post Thanks / Like

This is explaned This year in Ky Fishing guide where you buy your licence.
    Limit is 1 day creel
    Possecion is 2 time day creel
    If you are away from home more then 2 days you can have more but they must be cleaned
    If 2 people are fishing together each limit is doubeld
    Crappie
    1 fisherman at Ky lake 20- 10in. fish
    2 fisherman 40 in boat
    40 fish at camp per person for 2 days or more and at no time can you have more than 1 limit per person uncleaned,Hope this helps
    Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

This is as good as an explanation as I have found. The possesion and creel limit are for each person.

http://www.tnfish.org/FrequentlyAske...tions_TWRA.htm

I know most are over their possesion in crappie here - I wasn't aware that the freezer at home could count, however, I have never heard of it being checked.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan on here just recently finished his requirements to be a KDFW officeer. He may be able to explain it better, as it specifically relates to Ky.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't aware that the freezer at home could count,
    Actually that's not correct , due to some "concerns" over that from several in the past....... this year in the fishing guide it specifically states "processed fish DO NOT count towards the possession limits"
    So IF they're in the freezer they actually do not count, also it states two or more days on the shoreline or on the water; so per the KDFWR fishing guide ONLY fish "in your possession while on the water (or camping I suppose) could be counted, but not frozen fish at home.

Not trying to "nit pick" , but hoping to help folks understand (after all when you legally catch a limit several days in a row, why wouldn't you be allowed to freeze some for later?)

To the OP......

Each angler is allowed six walleye PER DAY apiece, in your example two anglers can have 12 walleye (15" or over) but IF they're not going home, they'd better not find them with more than 24 TOTAL fish even with two OR MORE "days on the water" (without taking any home camping and fishing etc.) or they'd be subject to fines (and possibly worse)

I have often wondered how they KNOW , whether one had actually kept them all one day (twice the legal limit and were "claiming" two or more days) I suspect this is to make it somewhat harder to just keep WAY too many over the limit??
    Last edited by aceoky; 04-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: possession limit

Here it is straight from the Online Guide

[COLOR=blue][FONT=Century Gothic]• Possession limits are now standardized as two times the daily creel limit for all fish species with a daily creel limit. A person shall not possess more than 1 daily limit of processed or unprocessed fish while fishing, on the shoreline or on the water.

Processed fish do not count toward the possession limit.
    For daily creel limit and fishing license purposes, one fishing day equals one calendar day.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://http://fw.ky.gov/0910fishguide.asp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    Ryan on here just recently finished his requirements to be a KDFW officeer. He may be able to explain it better, as it specifically relates to Ky.
    by no means am i a conservation officer but i do know alot about the laws and such.. i have a few more steps in the process and then hopefully i will be offered one of the jobs..... but as for what the guy was asking about possesion limit and daily limit... ok if the limit is 6 for the day all u can have is 6 fish in your boat and u can only have 12 fish in your posession that is not in your boat but in your posession after 2 or 3 days of fishing... but all u are allowed to have in your boat is your daily limit and u can only have 12 fish in your posession on shore.. for instance if i go fishing for 2 days i can keep 5 bass on the first day and 5 on the next day but at the end of day 2 i cannot have more than 10 fish in my possession but i will have 5 in my livewell and 5 in my cooler on shore....best i can figure this prevents people from goin out catchin their limit coming to shore and dropping them off and goin back out..... the guy asked about 2 people fishing so it would just double... 6 for each of you on a daily limit and 12 for you on a posession limit.... i hope this helps and keep prayin for me so i can hopefully get that conservation officer job.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_ekubass View Post
    by no means am i a conservation officer but i do know alot about the laws and such.. i have a few more steps in the process and then hopefully i will be offered one of the jobs.....
    Sorry about that - but you are close, right? I knew you had taken and done well on the exam. Anyway, good luck with the pursuit of that, I wish you the best.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: possession limit

Also form the link I posed above

[COLOR=green][FONT=Century Gothic]Question: How is a daily creel limit different than a possession limit?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=green][FONT=Century Gothic]Answer: [/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=green][FONT=Century Gothic]The daily creel limit is the number of a particular sport fish species you may keep in one day’s fishing. A possession limit is two times the daily limit for all fish species with a daily creel limit. It excludes processed (cleaned) fish.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Century Gothic] [/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    Sorry about that - but you are close, right? I knew you had taken and done well on the exam. Anyway, good luck with the pursuit of that, I wish you the best.

Kevin
    hey its fine i dont care a bit to help someone figure out a law and such if i dont know 100 percent i can get ahold of someone who does... like last week on that 18.6 rule i came to my own conclusion on it and i just called our local conservation officer adn asked him to make sure.... and yeah i am real close i shoudl know something within the next two weeks or so.....