Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

topwater question

hey everyone! i'm going to guntersville in may for the first time. i plan on fishing topwater as i've heard the bite should be on then. my question is....braid or heavy(17lb)mono? i am thinking braid (50-65 lb suffix) over the grass but should i be concerned about lack of stretch?

would you use the same line with toads,wakebaits and buzzbaits?

also i just ordered a 1/2oz secret weapon buzzbait in guntersville red to use there.
    has anyone ever used one? they look nice

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: topwater question

Quote Originally Posted by joeyblueblood View Post
    hey everyone! i'm going to guntersville in may for the first time. i plan on fishing topwater as i've heard the bite should be on then. my question is....braid or heavy(17lb)mono? i am thinking braid (50-65 lb suffix) over the grass but should i be concerned about lack of stretch?

would you use the same line with toads,wakebaits and buzzbaits?

also i just ordered a 1/2oz secret weapon buzzbait in guntersville red to use there.
    has anyone ever used one? they look nice

thanks
    I now all the pros use braid for topwater but i don't like it, i love braid just not for topwater. I've ripped it out of too many fish too soon. I would stick to 17 pound mono, but also i don't like fluro as well. So take it for what it's worth....good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use anything but braid on topwater around grass, especially if it is matted up. That is about the only time I use braid (normally, I hate it), but you will love it if you hook a good one in the grass. Even a 2-3 pounder will weigh a ton if you have to pull it a few feet through the grass. In matted grass I always use a frog. I would use a heavy or extra heavy rod too, the longer the better to get that fish up out of the grass. The less stretch the better when in grass too, you want to get it's head turned and up as soon as you can. Timing is more important than anything, you will probably miss the first two or three setting the hook too fast, but you will get it down. I try not to react to the initial blow up, I try to wait until my line either gets tight, pulls, or moves to the side to set it.

I prefer heavy mono on a buzzbait, though, unless I am fishing over grass beds that haven't matted up, I will usually opt for the braid there too.

I would take two topwater rods if you are not too fond of braid, but have it one and use it on the grass.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been fishing Guntersville for years and have never used anything but 12 lb. mono in the Springtime. I can only recall one fish breaking my line and that was a 20lb carp. Now in the summer and Fall when the grass gets really thick, we go up to 17lb mono. I think it's just a matter of preference.
    My buddy and I tried the secret weapon buzzbait at G-ville this Spring but didn't have any takers. But the topwater bite was definitely NOT on while we were there. Can't wait to try it later in the Spring/early summer.

Post Thanks / Like

hey voeller....thx for the info. we can't wait to go down. got any tips?
    i read a report from last week that said the SW buzzbait was working and when i looked at their website i ordered one. bait monkey strikes again...lol.

also gonna use frogs and toads, finesse worms.lipless cranks and the like.
    any tips you guys have would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Lizards, lizards, lizards. Caught nearly all of our fish a few weeks ago on lizards (T-rigged with 3/16 tungsten sinker). Big fish of the trip, 7 lbs and change, came on the lizard. Love fishing the XR-50's, but the bite just wasn't happening for us this time. Caught a handful on the 50's over 4 days (and a big gar). I'm just trying to think of a way to convince my significant other that I need to go down there for 3 more days!

Good luck!