Search Fishin.com

Thread: Painting Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Painting Jigs?

What kind of paint do you guys that make your own jigs prefer? I've used the powder and tried brushing on an enamel. Mixing and applying the powder is easier, but I like the colors I can get mixing enamels and the fact that I can put more than one coat on using a brush...just wondering what others preferred. I'm still new at making my own, and am open to new ideas. Thanks for any help or opinions you can give...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Painting Jigs?

Powder paint. Much tougher than the enamals after its cured. You can do multiple colors and mix your own colors just like the enamals.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely powdercoat them. I like to bake them to make the finish even more durable. Make sure if you do bake them not to do it in the same oven that you cook food in. I have an old beater oven out in the shop just for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

You say to cook them. How much diff does it really make? New to jig making have not even brought a mold yet but is hard to find the sizes for fish that i do. any other tips?

Post Thanks / Like

After you have powdercoated them, bake them in an oven for about 35 min on 350 degrees. This makes the finish close to 5 times stronger than doing the old Bic lighter trick (heating, dipping, then fishing). 350 degrees is not enough to melt the jig head or the powder coat, but it allows it to cure better and stronger. Do a websearch on baking, not cooking, your powdercoated jig heads. One more time.......DO NOT BAKE JIGHEADS IN AN OVEN YOU COOK FOOD IN!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shimano4Life View Post
    ....DO NOT BAKE JIGHEADS IN AN OVEN YOU COOK FOOD IN!!!!!
    I second that! I also recommend doing anything associated with jig making in a well ventilated area. The Do It mold site has additional tips. I also have a separate oven set up in the garage for doing the jigs. You can also get a cheap toaser oven (I picked up one at Walmart several years back for $20) and set up a rack to cure the jigs. I do this when I am only doing small batches.

Cure time may depend on the brand of powder paint. I use the pro tech stuff and it recommends 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Definitely helps out the paint over not curing. When done right, the paint will dent with the lead when you bang it off rocks.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

i really appreciate the information guys. ill check the website out and do a little more digging...i believe we have an old oven that should do the trick for baking the powder coats. again, thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Painting Jigs?

Toaster ovens the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Listen to APB ,he made my jigs for years.
    They are absolutly the best .The colors always
    held up and no chipping or fading.
    Gary

QUOTE=goosecreekguy;364845]What kind of paint do you guys that make your own jigs prefer? I've used the powder and tried brushing on an enamel. Mixing and applying the powder is easier, but I like the colors I can get mixing enamels and the fact that I can put more than one coat on using a brush...just wondering what others preferred. I'm still new at making my own, and am open to new ideas. Thanks for any help or opinions you can give...[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Toaster oven I heat jigs at about 375 to 400 then dip them in paint hang on rack I made from old lamp shade by just taking of the paper. Turn down oven to 350 hang them on rack I made out of coat hanger for about 15 minutes not only does it toughen paint but it flows paint and make it look great.

Post Thanks / Like

I spray paint my jig heads with what ever color I like. then after the paint drys I either use plain epoxy cement to cover the jig head. Or I mix in glitter in the epoxy cement and then apply that way. I also do all my sinkers the same way so that they are similar in color to the actual soft plastic I'm throwing.