Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

battery question

I have a 190 TX Bass Tracker. It has a 12V trolling motor with 46 or 48 lbs. thrust. The problem I'm having is that after just a few hours of use, the battery is getting really weak. I've had the battery tested and it tested fine. A buddy suggested that the trolling motor was too weak for the size boat. Rather than getting a stronger trolling motor, he suggested getting two 6V golf cart batteries and hooking them in series. Good idea, but those things are over $100 each. Any other suggestions? Paying for another trolling motor, even with trade-in, is a last option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: battery question

Of course the best solution is going to a 24 volt system for your boat which requires a new motor and a second battery. Another option would be to add a second battery in parallel to your current system. This doubles the available current while keeping the voltage rating in the 12-13 range. Problems you could expect with this is to have a weaker battery pull from a stronger one so it would be best to purchase two batteries at the same time. That is also the advise I would give on a 24 volt system as well. 24 volt or higher systems are more efficient because they provide a higher potential which requires less current. The problem with using more current is a by product of current flow is heat. Heat is wasted potential power. The basic wattage formula is: W=V*C So doubling the voltage provides more than twice the power since less current is needed, thus less is wasted. Another concern with running two batteries in parallel is at charging time. I ran a dual battery 12 volt system in a bass boat I owned for a while and installed a disconnect switch.

Post Thanks / Like

u said u had the battery tested did they test to acid inside if not go to ur local wallyworld or auto parts store and get a hydrommeter its around a dollor or 2 it will have 4 little balls in it and will show u the level of acid when u charge it or have it tested it will show good but if the acid is not 100% it will drain down quick this is one of the most over looked problems i learned this at work with our golf cart batterys they all showed good on load test but when tested the acid that was the problen i went out and got me a tester and found out that was my problem with my batterys on my boat hope this helps u out

Post Thanks / Like

What gauge wire for your TM does your boat have in it? When you say the battery was tested what kind of test and by whom? What kind of charger do you use?2,6,8,10 amp? Do you know if the charger is actually charging the battery to a full charge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    What gauge wire for your TM does your boat have in it? When you say the battery was tested what kind of test and by whom? What kind of charger do you use?2,6,8,10 amp? Do you know if the charger is actually charging the battery to a full charge?
    thats why i use stay n charge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what guage wire is being used. I'll have to check that. We sometimes use a 10A charger and other times a 12A charger. They show full charge. The battery was tested at an Advanced Auto, but I don't know if they checked the acid. I'll give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voeller101 View Post
    I have a 190 TX Bass Tracker. It has a 12V trolling motor with 46 or 48 lbs. thrust. The problem I'm having is that after just a few hours of use, the battery is getting really weak. I've had the battery tested and it tested fine. A buddy suggested that the trolling motor was too weak for the size boat. Rather than getting a stronger trolling motor, he suggested getting two 6V golf cart batteries and hooking them in series. Good idea, but those things are over $100 each. Any other suggestions? Paying for another trolling motor, even with trade-in, is a last option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    I have the SAME boat..............pull that crappy series 27 battery out........put in a bigger tray and put in a series 29 or 31 battery.........

Better yet..........put in a 24v system with two 31's.............TALK about ROCKING.

OK, OK...............I know you said no new motor...........so STILL put in two 12v 31's, and run them Parallel........BUT you will need new trays, and they will barely fit........

Finally, BPS now has a dual battery tray that will work in your boat, and still leave enough room for a starting battery.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Nitro 180TF. I was having the same problem with mine. It came out with a 48# Motorguide 12/24. Even after I replaced the batteries it was still slower than I would like. I stopped by Cave Run RV outlet and spoke to Rob. He often has used trolling motors for sale. I bought a 67# thrust for $75 and my trade in. This worked great for me.. While I was trying to decide how to fix my issue I asked a lot of questions about the same thing. I talked to Dave Smoot who owns KY Trolling Motor Service and my brother in law who is an electrical engineer. Their advise was to Run heavier gauge wires even with my new motor. this allows for less resistance and pull on your batteries giving them a little longer life. If you have a tracker you probably have 8 gauge wire. you can go up to 4 if you want to try and run it through your gunnels and add in line circuit breaker. This may give you a little more time on the water. I also agree with a couple of the other fellas. get another battery and run two of them in sequence. Your trolling motor will only pull 12v and two batteries offers longer life because your motor is pulling from both of them rather than just one.

Post Thanks / Like

Old Buddy if your trolling motor is pulling fine but the battery falls off fast,I think the wire is big enough. Try to charge slower, like 2 amps to get a deep cycle on your battery. If your wire is to small, find it and see if it is getting hot when in use. I used a 12 volt lawnmorer battery on a little 14' boat I once had with a 42lb TM and it would run 5 to 6 hr.s , But I had to slow charge it all night.

Post Thanks / Like

Brothers I been using that little TM motor on my old bumble bee, my bigger motor was down, and I like setting in the low seat because my back don,t hurt and i don't feel like I'll been working all day. But on the other hand I'll missing the contol of the old foot job. Think there someway to have both?