Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best Knot For Fluorocarbon?

I know that some knots and fluorocarbon just don't mix. I learned the hard way with the Palomar knot that when fluorocarbon draws over itself and kinks (like with the Palomar), it breaks in an unusual fashion repeatedly. Also, if the Palomar does hold up for a couple of hooksets, it won't be long before it breaks.

I've been using the Eugene Bend for all my fluoro applications with good success this season, with very few break-offs.

I would like some input from you guys and am very interested in what results I get. My question is: What knot(s) do you recommend for your fluorocarbon lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Knot For Fluorocarbon?

The reverse-clinch is the only knot I use and I haven't broke one off yet. Good call on palomar...it ***** for fluoro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owskiwoski View Post
    The reverse-clinch is the only knot I use and I haven't broke one off yet. Good call on palomar...it ***** for fluoro
    I might try to give that knot a run this weekend. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shimano4Life View Post
    I might try to give that knot a run this weekend. Thanks!
    Someone on another board posted something called a san diego knot........I looked and it seemed to be a decent knot.........

here is a link:

http://www.netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

hey i too was in your dilema not to long ago untill i figured out the eugene knot and i love it.... i used to set the hook and reel in a broke knot and i tried that eugene knot and by far u wont find a better knot... i actually modified mine to make it even stronger.. instead of going thru once and doing the twists and stuff.. i go thru twice then i tie the knot.... so it had two wraps of line around the eye instead of just the one... i just put it thru once come back and thru again..... i think it works much much better that way too....

Post Thanks / Like

what is wrong with the improved clinch been tying this since i was a kid never has failed me yet

Post Thanks / Like

I use a bunch of flouro fishing Laurel so much as it's so clear. I only use the improved clinch or the trilene knot (no reason which one, they both work fine, just depends on my mood I suppose)

One thing I've found though on flouro, plenty of lube (in the form of good ole spit) makes it MUCH stronger (the knot) and takes the heat out of the cinching of the knot....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead70 View Post
    what is wrong with the improved clinch been tying this since i was a kid never has failed me yet
    +1

I use this knot on everything except braided line. Have never had knot issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the link below :

It's a link to the website of the TV Show "North Amercian Fisherman". Every week for the best several weeks they have had a segment called "Knot Wars". The put 2 knots to the test to see which is better, they test it on Mono, Braid and Carbon. They choose a winner and that knot advances to another round...sort of like a knot tournament. The site has some good info on a bunch of knots and they have videos on how to tie the knot.

http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraCont...aspx?id=132344

The Palomar knot won the 2008 Season contest. However, it was beaten in the final challenge of the 2009 season by the "Fish N Fool" knot...and it works well with carbon. Here's the link to the challenge and how to tie the Fish-N-Fool Knot:

http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraCont...aspx?id=148176
    Last edited by Buckeye024; 04-24-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Someone on another board posted something called a san diego knot........I looked and it seemed to be a decent knot.........

here is a link:

http://www.netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html

Later,

Geo
    I have used that knot for years and never had a problem with it they call it the a Bull Shoals night knot on Bull Shoals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye024 View Post
    The Palomar knot won the 2008 Season contest. However, it was beaten in the final challenge of the 2009 season by the "Fish N Fool" knot...and it works well with carbon. Here's the link to the challenge and how to tie the Fish-N-Fool Knot:

http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraCont...aspx?id=148176
    Yeah I've been using these knot for years. It much the same as uni knot other than going thru the eye twice. I always call it double uni knot until the challenger entered the contest with a different name to be in the spotlight

Post Thanks / Like

i use the palomar for all my knots never had any breakage good ole spit works 4me keeps it cool..